Saturday, May 7, 2016

Some of my passions


The things that make your heart beat faster and your eyes glow when you speak about it, no matter if it's hiking, yoga, gardening, painting, sex, meditation, photography, going for walks, helping others--- do that. Do it as often as you can, because that's what life is about. Creating as many passionate, happy moments as possible. Don't let anyone stop you from doing the things you love, not even yourself.

I found these words above on Facebook this morning posted by a young woman I know, Sam May, who enjoys the same sport as me, as does her sister who I am also in touch with via FB. Sam's post today prompted me to use this poem for today's blog. It was written yesterday and describes my training session that day. I like it because it combines my two passions: Triathlon and writing. My husband likes it  simply because it rhymes! He is not so keen on the ones he calls the Arty-Farty pieces. Poor lamb, he is subjected daily to my scribblings since I like to read them aloud when I think they are finished. Its like putting a stamp on it. I know that I am not a great poet but it works like therapy for me, takes me away from worries and hurtful things that people say without thinking.

Biking Hills 

The Route today was so carefully selected
Old ‘A’ road stands there almost neglected
So little traffic on this once busy road
Cars pass now at lesser speed thus slowed
Council planning office new construction
A village sees much needed noise reduction
Major trunk route changed to a country lane
Peace and quiet for dog walkers once again
Now a favourite place for a bit of repetition
Preparation for distant future competition
Cyclist’s workout hard on their uphill ride
Strength building helps to improve pride
No trucks seen there now for so many years
Safely riders can practice changing gears
Over and over, up and down over a mile
Stamina growing little by little all the while
Then home for well earned breakfast toast
A diary entry with a virtuous training boast
 
 
 

No comments: