Saturday, May 7, 2016

Movie: Florence Foster Jenkins


I wish I had been able to take all my friends with us last night to see film about Florence Foster Jenkins, who followed her dream to become a world class opera singer. It is a quite marvellous film about the tragic lady, with Meryl Streep, who rise’s marvellously to the occasion once more as generous patron of the arts this strange eccentric heiress was. 
 
I have not laughed that disgracefully for many moons although it is not really a comedy, and I was cross with myself because I thought I should not have been so unkind. I have to say that Mr Ageing Smoothie himself, Hugh Grant, was excellent, best I have ever seen perform, tender, caring and loving ,even if his character did enjoy the financial benefits of being her husband/manager. I take back everything I ever said about dear old Hugh and his position in top men’s eye candy league. David Haig was great as the music teacher who was happy enough to take the rich lady’s money but far too selfish and proud to attend her concerts. I would love to ask him how many takes there were for the hilarious singing lesson scenes that he played so astonishingly straight faced.  Brilliant. How did he do that?….. Oh yes, I remember, he's an actor!

A man sitting a few seats from me was rendered completely helpless for much of the film and he set me off again every time he shrieked with laughter. I remember FFJ's records being played on Family Favourites on Sunday lunchtime radio years ago. A lot of ordinary people might have sung their own first operatic aria along with her less than dulcet tones, who could be worse? It was so very sad.
 
This morning I searched You Tube to see if there were any of her recordings there and having listened to the reminder I found, I think the film was quite kind about the quality of her quite dreadful voice.  This Is her Killing the Queen of the Night from Mozart's Magic Flute.
 
 
 

No comments: