Thursday, May 19, 2016

Flying Solo


I heard from Steve this morning. He was waiting for the barge to arrive for them to start the huge job they have in Venice, that will take at least two days to complete. They were all ready to go but the bad news was that is was raining. Raining. When the job is to unload the trucks one at a time, load the furniture in a barge, climb on board the barge and glide on the romantic canals in central Venice to the closest spot that the barge could tie up at, to where the furniture is to be delivered, then unload the barge and wheel the pieces one at a time on trolleys to the place of delivery. Then carry them up stairs to be placed in their new homes.

I wonder how long it will take the men doing this, for the gloss of a trip to Venice to wear off. Not long methinks. 

Meanwhile back in blighty: I took  a multi lap bike course close to home so that my husband/training partner/coach would not have to worry about me getting a flat out on a road far away from home. It worked well actually. I waited for rush hour to be over and managed to do twenty short-ish laps without having to slow down or stop at all. Hot sweaty person by the time I got home. Useful session. 

This afternoon flying solo again I drove to Chichester on my own and did some shopping for those annoying little things that you can only buy in one particular place. On this occasion it was to pander to my whim to have toilet rolls with a perfumed core for the toilets in my home. These particular ones can only be bought in M & S in East Gate, Chichester, and so I bulk buy two or three times per year. I buy their perfumed handy pack tissues at the same time. 

It is unusual for me to go clothes shopping. I hate shopping for clothes and usually only buy on line. However. On my way back to my car to deposit the toilet rolls and hankies in my car I passed the Chestnut Tree Charity Shop; my pet charity. Some may remember that I did 75 mini triathlons in 75 days to raise money for Chestnut Tree Childrens Hospice  on the days approaching my 75th birthday a couple of years ago, raising over £6000.00 for the kids there. Anyway, back to the plot, I took a look inside and bought a dress. Yes, me, a dress. It had a good label, from Wrap. It was pretty in a sort of mad poet lady way so it was perfect for me. Vast expence. £9. If I never wear it, I will still be pleased.  
 
I spent the rest of the afternoon in the Chichester Festival Theatre for a matinee performance of Enemy of the People with Hugh Bonneville in the lead doing a superb job. I thought he had lost a little weight since The Hollow Crown on TV.
 

 

 

No comments: