Monday, May 30, 2016

Cabin Fever


 
 
 
Suffered from a spot of cabin fever today due to the fact that it did not stop raining at all. I kept checking up on Accuweather and first thing this morning it said ‘Rain will continue for at least two hours’ then when I checked it two hours later, it repeated the first message and so on and so fifth. There was also an Orange flood alert for the area. I did not bring a coat of any kind. I expected to find summer here as usual, I think I have said that before.
 
I had wanted to go out and watch the guys trimming the trees in the road outside this Gite. It’s so entertaining this obsession with tidy trees that the French have. Every tiny twig sprouting anywhere on the lower part of the most attractive trees, up to I would think about 35-40 feet up the tree must be trimmed. The lower bark is left completely clear. How sad am I to find this work completely absorbing and mesmeric? 
 
 

At about 1pm I had a call from Steve to say they had finished work in the Antiques Fair in Avignon and that he was starting off for the drive home. Yes, he called this converted barn in the orchard of the gite we have stayed in for donkey’s years now, when ever we have a long work stay in these parts, ‘Home’. We are very comfortable here. Steve had been away since Friday and I had been on my own whilst the owner’s were also away. Very peaceful.

They arrived back on Sunday and we exchanged greetings since they had just left us a key with a friend when we arrived over a week ago. Then having been nice to each other and asked polite things, I moved on rather than let any more rain fall on my hair and encourage curls. I drummed up my best French and told Jean Francois that the TV was not working. He told me that he knew that! It needed a part and it would arrive in three weeks! Oh well that is the French for you. 

Steve got back in time to take me out to dinner and we went into town to find one of the few restaurants that open on Monday. The joy is that many of the restaurants offer posh wine by the glass so you can experiment until you fall over. This is not a test for me since I have my favourites.
 
 

No comments: