Saturday, May 14, 2016

Mum's White Cardigan




This photo popped up as a memory on Facebook yesterday. It shows my mum and my elder brother Peter sitting on the wall of the family home. It took me aback yesterday as if I had been slapped when I saw that picture, and so for our Saturday bike ride this morning, Steve and I rode into Worthing passing all the places where I remembered time spent with my family. We rode slowly down Cranworth Road and I pointed out who had lived in each of the houses when I was a child. My husband added “And the house across the road that got bombed during the war”, pointing to the only house in the road that was less than a hundred years old.

            The White Cardigan 

Whenever a white cardigan before my eyes takes a place
Instantly above it presents an image of my mothers face
Then, even then, the memory can be harsh
She won’t go away then I think, for a little while
And that thought alone in my head makes me smile. 

It was a big thing with her, I remember that well
Ingrained from somewhere in her past, you could tell
That the bright white must be what people saw
You must always have a new white cardigan every year
Even though her clothes were worn thin, they must not sneer. 

She sat knitting by the radio, in the kitchen, of a winter night
A plain one for herself but for me a daintier, prettier sight
Mum’s was nearly always a ‘v’ neck shape and mine
Buttoned to the neck with a wheat sheaf pattern or cable
Worn only for best, maybe to visit Aunt Lot’s, if we were able.  

There I am, cardi on, in all the old photos somewhere
Squatting in the chicken run with frizzy hair
But wrapped in long sleeved white wool
Unkempt blowing around me, my dirty blonde locks
Taken with the handed down family Brownie Box 

Every year as I too quickly for mum’s pocket grew
The old one posted to a younger cousin or a friend I knew
One day she switched me to a new design
A puffed sleeve angora bolero with bobble edge
Climbing like a boy, “Watch your cardi on that jagged ledge”. 

The fluffy bolero years lasted through those childhood ways
They warmed me through my junior school days
Mum glowed with admiration for her neat stitches
Her knitting looked like shop bought but for less cost
A slap round the head I got when my best one was lost.  

The hug-me-tight was forced into my young life
Starting ballet class gave mum just one more piece of strife
Wrapped around the front and neatly crossed over
With two long tails that were neatly tied
After slipping them through a little slot on the side. 

White goes with anything mum declared with firm voice
But as far as I was concerned there was not any choice
You would think I had said a really bad word
When I dared ask for a pink one or even green
Wide eyed horror on her face was for a long moment seen. 

So you see now why as the brochure page I turn
That the white one pictured is not what I yearn
Mum’s white cardi on a model there gives pause
There she is again, to myself I softly say
Once more her face will not for a while go away. 

She still wore them well into her old age where
Nothing had changed bar the colour of her hair
Then her silky white permanently waved tresses
As she lay, small and still on her death bed
“A perfect match to my cardi”, she would have said.
 
 
 

No comments: