Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Swim-Run: Bad Days and Good Days



                      One of the GOOD days with hero's Simon Lessing and Mark Allen


Wednesday morning rolls round again and we thought that it might be a struggle because we both felt tired and achy yesterday. Steve, because he had been lifting a load of heavy furniture more or less not stop for days, including the weekend, and it does not get any easier as you get older. For me, because my ribs still ached this morning from the violent sneezing on Monday, it was better than it was yesterday but I still ached and it was hard to say if it was my ribs or my lungs or both. 

                                      Good fun with the gang on the Isle of Wight 

I looked at Steve to see what clothes he was putting on, because Wednesday is, in this current training pattern a swim-run day but it was raining and not looking at all inviting even if we were feeling good. As I watched he put on running kit and so I followed suit.

Steve said that he was not making any promises because he felt rubbish. I said that maybe we should do the swim set and see if it was still raining when we came out of the pool and see then, if a swim woke us up or not and maybe it would be better not to even aim at the harder run in Arundel, because it would be disgustingly muddy after so much rain, I said I thought that doing a sea front run instead might be favourite, Steve thought that was a good idea, we would see.

                      At Richmond Park Women's 10km with my daughter Jacqueline

My friend Bekka, who I work with on Wednesday and Friday mornings, would not be swimming today since she had gone skiing in Italy for a week. Actually the pool was half empty this morning, so I imagine a lot of people had looked out of the window early and thought ‘Blow that for a game of coconuts’ and turned over to go back to sleep and who could blame them.

There was only one other lady in the whole of the open section of the pool my side when I started working through my schedule. Steve started his boys off and I could see that his arms were not working properly just from his face as I made my turns at the shallow end. A couple of times he slipped under the lane ropes and did a slow 50 with me swimming stroke for stroke beside me; he is one of the few faster swimmers in our group that can actually swim very slowly when he wants too. He is always telling people that the warm up is not a fast 400 and that there should be a clear difference between your fast work and your slow work. Some people just can’t swim slowly.

                                Another real fun day Kate, Lottie, Yasue and James

I finished my schedule that would have been for my friend and I which was:
W.U
3 x 200
1 x 100
8 x 50
1 x 200
Swim down
I missed out that swim down and started at the top again
I got through the:
3 x 200
Then I did the 100 as backstroke by which time the boys were done.

I met Steve near the desk in front and we looked at the weather and turned to me smiling and said “Bugger it’s stopped raining, we’ll have to run then not having any excuse”. We went out and ditched our bags in the car and I got a hat and gloves out.

                             A sea front run with Anthony and Craig a few years ago
 
Steve opted to do a test run of the ‘Frost Bite’ run course because we knew it was a measured 5km route. That run starts at the pool and does a lap of the park to the east of the pool then goes to the far end of the promenade to the east, turn around a post and then right back to the river at the western end, turns and ends back at the pool.

If I say that neither of us spoke a word the whole 5km, I’m guessing that anyone would know that it was not comfortable. It was only 5km but both of us were not feeling great before we started. 


                               A harder but most satisfying day at Ironman Austria
When we reached the point where the finish gantry will be on March 5th I just hung myself over the sea wall and gasped and breathed heavily at a cluster of Mermaids Purses on the stones the other side of the wall. I stayed there for a bit.

Steve asked if I was OK.
I didn’t respond
He looked at his Garmin and said “Actually it wasn’t that bad but I take it by the shortage of conversation that that hurt and if it makes you feel better it was agony for me too”.
I didn’t answer.
“You don’t like me any more do you”?
I threw him a death ray look in confirmation.
He put his arm around me and walked me to the car.
“How painful was that on a scale of 1-10”
“14” I muttered.

                                                  Running in France in the sunshine



At times like that all you can say to yourself is that it can only get better, try to think of those times when it all worked out well and you had a smile on your face and sparkle in your eye, and remember how good the good times felt.

                              Another fine day of training, blue sky and feeling good
 
We drove to Rustington for coffee in Costa’s spotting fellow triathlete Anthony in his Tuff Fitty knitted hat that makes him hard to miss, eating his breakfast and reading the paper in Waitrose.

                                                                  Summer!

No comments: