Thursday, February 2, 2017

Reflections on my good triathlon fortune




In case anybody thinks that I must be a lady of leisure because of all the training sessions I fit into my life. They are very wrong and this morning my first chore was to finish a manifest for the latest container of Antiques that we are working on gathering in from shops all over England, that is going to North Carolina USA. The truck is in Leek one day and will be in Liverpool early next week, not to mention London and the Cotswolds as well as collection in the South.



Having finished putting three hundred items into the computer in an orderly fashion ready for shipment, I attended to a few every day household jobs. When it came to cleaning the fireplace and setting the fire ready to be lit, I realised that I did not have any paper for the base although I did have kindling in the log box and smokeless fuel in the coal scuttle ready to use.


It was then I thought once more about the big box of newspaper and magazine cuttings that have gathered over the triathlon years. I was recently talking to Steve about that pile of newspaper and was threatening to start using them to start the evening fire off with. Stephen was not pleased and told me to leave them as they were.


Why do we keep cuttings? We never look at them and the place you keep them in gets into a bigger and bigger mess as time goes by and so you put them in a box to keep them tidy. What ever do celebrities do? Over the last month I have started to at least sort some of them out, since there is no reason to keep a whole magazine because there is one page about my triathlon antics. I have started with the articles that were in the local paper, the Littlehampton Gazette, where I have even make the front page a couple of times. The editorial staff on the local rag have got used to putting bits about my shenanigans in the L.A news sheets; that is a local term; we call the town L.A. because that is how many people pronounce the name; Little’Ampton, the H gets lost in the mist. I have just kept the page with the photo and article on and used the rest of the paper for fire lighter.


They more or less expect me now to let them know when I have done anything of note; World Championships etc. and I started long ago sending in my own report and then leave it to them to doctor it around at will.


I used to buy several copies myself when I was still fortunate enough to have a couple of sponsors. Since a sponsor wants keeping up to date with any photos in the press. My longest lasting sponsor was Saucony who were most loyal and provided me with all my running apparel and trainers for many years…..I think it might have been as long a relationship as twenty years and their backing was hugely appreciated but sadly, they were taken over by another company and only this winter they decided that I had had enough of their support. However, I do have cupboards full of running clobber and I am sure that it will see me out but whilst on the subject I can say one last big thank you for sticking with me for such and amazing amount of time.


Over years I have had a few more product sponsors the earliest one was Reebok when I won the Vet category in the Reebok Runners World Awards and I was thrilled with a few pairs of trainers and a couple of outfits for racing in. Then followed De Soto for several seasons and Clinique sent me the lines of products that I used also for a number of years. A Littlehampton clothing manufacturer made some tights, running shorts and tops up especially for me which was amazing. Snugg Wetsuits gave me a couple of seasons support too. So all in all I have been more than lucky over the years.


Apart from the sports equipment company’s, one of me most surprising sponsors was for me was Matol, a herbal remedy company who took me to their heart and onto their team for several years including funding an entire trip to the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii. Everything you could think of; air fare, hotel accommodation, meals, team racing clothing as well as a night at a luau.


I have been so lucky with my trips to Hawaii because the first year I qualified to race in the Worlds there, Ian Douglas Sweet who was with Eurosport then and is still a Facebook friend, filmed the entire stay on the Big Island and became for me the most remarkable door opener I had ever encountered. Ian managed to get me taken on all sorts of trips: a submarine and a private flight to look at the bike course and a tour of the chocolate factory, not to mention a pair of Zip wheels, Oakley sunglasses and umpteen other treats like being introduced to everybody who was somebody, all the stars of the sport new and old. I will never forget that time as long as I live; Thanks a million Ian.

No comments: