Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Chlorine Poisoning?



 Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron of France

This morning I woke up feeling awful after yesterday spent sneezing violently and applying tissue after tissue to my poor nose that was running like a tap. Every time I have one of these days, and it is always on a Monday it leaves me totally wrecked; my ribs and my wings ache as though I have been beaten with sticks all over my upper back. There was a headache today, too one of those forehead jobbies. The day had tired me out and I slept for nine hours without even a bathroom visit. I had turned out the light at 10.30pm and slept straight through to 7.30 am Steve had not disturbed me and had turned the alarm off knowing that I would not be in a fit state to get on the bike. He was happy enough about that too since he had had a very hard day working at Battersea Decorative fair again on the collections day after the show had ended.

If I want to keep my Monday swim sessions, something will have to be done and I think step one will be the try a nose clip again. I find the nose clip hard to keep on so I’m going to keep trying different ones to try to win this battle. The pool staff, say they do not do anything different and don’t see why I have this problem. There are one or two other people who have been affected in the same way as me and they have simply started going to another pool. There are a lot of children in the pool over the weekend since it is a very successful party venue. The chemicals are added automatically I am told…..yes, that’s right, and we know all the reasons why.


Otherwise I will have to change my own schedule which would be a pain in the butt because it works so well along side the coaching sessions Steve does on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On the other days I am perfectly OK and for our club session on Saturday late afternoon. 


I do take a Boots one a day allergy tablet but they are very weak and that is something else I could look into I suppose. Allergies are a pain for the sufferers. But my medical history includes a mother who had umpteen allergies and died of kidney failure and a father who was an asthma sufferer and who died from lung Cancer.  They had both smoked until quite late in life, extraordinarily they both stopped smoking after having Asian Flu one winter when they were lucky enough to lose the taste for tobacco due to that. During that same epidemic I stopped drinking orange squash and fifty years later I still wouldn’t touch it. Curiouser and curiouser eh?

Ironman European Championship Almere Netherlands Long Course 2006
4000 mtrs swim 120 km bike 30km run

There is always something that can upset the apple cart or training schedule. In summer the Monday pool swim could be swapped for a sea swim and that would help the training stay more normal apart from having to wait for the tide. The sea at Littlehampton is just over the road from the pool.

My love of figure skating has been almost satisfied for the present, Steve having made sure that every event on the European Championships was recorded and then watched in the order that I prefer to see it. We have watched the Men’s Short and Free programme, the Pairs and the Ice Dance that saw my favourite Ice Dancers Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron of France fight back from third in the short, to a breathtaking performance in the free that gave them their third European Championship.

Now I only have the ladies competition and the gala left to watch. Then I will be counting the days until the World Figure Slating Championships in Helsinki at the end of March.

By that time the President of the USA may well from what I have just read succeeded in banning metric measurements. Is this true is or is it a post put on by a comedian? There are so many joke posts about. That would mean that all triathlon race distances will be changed; no more 1500 metre swims in the USA only a mile swim then?

That would surely mean no more international athletics meetings in the USA since 5km 10km 100-400 metres would not be permitted. Please tell me it isn’t true.

Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Clearwater, Florida 2006
The world Ironman 70.3 Championships are in Chattanooga TN later this year. All the 70.3 races I have looked at today have used miles.

This below I have just copied and pasted from the race site:
Sunbelt Bakery IRONMAN 70.3 Chattanooga begins with a point-to-point swim that is mostly downstream in the Tennessee River. Athletes will begin with a short up-river section before making the turn and heading downriver to the transition area. The bike course offers spectacular views of Lookout Mountain as the riders head out 11 miles south of town for a rolling 34-mile loop in Georgia. The day ends with a chance to enjoy Chattanooga's many tourist attractions as athletes take in the Tennessee Riverwalk and the beautiful Riverfront Parkway during the two-loop run.

Confused of Littlehampton.

No comments: