Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Neville’s Island September 2013



I was alone
Because my husband
Was working away from home
I bought a ticket by phone
An evening in my own company
At The Theatre in the Park
I was so late booking
And so lucky when
At the seat plan looking
Found a single seat
In the front row
Available on the evening
For Neville’s Island
Was the show
Entering the theatre
Into the auditorium
Brought the first smile
Bursting on my face
That moment alone
Made my night worthwhile
I nearly burst with pleasure
To see that stunning set
That moment alone
Set sight on that set
Was a rare treasure
It was an island
In the Lake District
I have been there
It was raining.
It rained when I was there
It was raining too
In the theatre
On the set where
Real trees and rocky shale
And the waters edge
All came to meet
Just three feet
In front of my seat
I was wearing pale lavender
Linen shirt and pants.

The performance
Was a huge treat
Even though
I got soaked to the skin
When Adrian Edmondson
Made his entrance in and
Up through the waters edge
I should have known.
Just his from his name on the poster
That the evening might be
A bit of roller coaster
All four stars were great
Great tale well told
Made me sit up straight
I wished at the end
That I had been bold
Enough to stand up
And say thank you
Thank you for
Breaking the mould.


Neville’s Island
Theatre in the Park
Chichester Festival



No comments: