Monday, February 6, 2017

Triathlon Training: Night Rider




Last night when I went to check that the back door was locked, I looked out of the kitchen door and gazed at the sky. It was one of those perfect starry nights that we do not have very often in the UK. I stepped out into the centre of our tiny little garden and looked up at the heavens turning very slowly to spot all the different constellations. Orion, being the one just about everybody can pick out was magnificent and the dog-star behind his mighty, hunter master was brilliant, Sirius was positively flashing bright blue rockets of light.

It was the best night sky I had seen since we were on holiday in Switzerland at Christmas, where this sort of fabulous evening is more commonplace due to the clean fresh air in the mountains and the height of the Engadine Valley.  I have been thinking about the beauty of the Upper Engadine and knew without him telling me so, that my husband would love to go to St Moritz to watch the downhill Skiing World Championships this coming weekend but that is only in his dreams. As I stood there, I hoped that the clear sky would last until morning and maybe I could get out on my bike if it was a nice day.

In the morning, in answer to my prayers it was as perfect a day as could be possible when it is still only the first week in February. After making us both an early morning cuppa, I stepped out again into the garden. It was such a surprise; because it must have been ten or twelve degrees warmer than the day before, well into double figures centigrade.


Not wanting to miss such an unexpected change in the weather I rushed back indoors to tell Steve what a lovely day had arrived, it was positively spring like. “Quick, lets get out on our bikes while it lasts; you know what a rare gift a day like this is in winter”. I said, making my way to the cupboard to get my bike kit out.

Steve went over to the French doors and saw that I was not exaggerating, and wasted no time throwing his bike kit on and opening the doors to get our best bikes out and check the tyres and everything. 


Since it was a working day, we had to get out quickly because there would only be a time slot of just a bit over an hour at best. So we opted to do the short bike route from home that is our favourite. As I walked through the garden towards the garage I noticed that a few of our spring bulbs had bloomed, little yellow Crocus flowers here and there. Steve had already got both out bikes out into the garage compound and was setting out glasses, gloves, helmets and turning on bike computers ready to go.

We rode the mile toward the sea front passing Littlehampton Police Station on the way. Once on the coast we turned east to follow the promenade to the end. The sea was glittering like sequins in the sunrise and the rough waves of last weekend were nowhere to be seen. Neither of us ever get tired of looking out at the water and thinking how lucky we are to live so close to this art work of nature that is ever changing and what ever vista it is, it is always a joy to rest your eyes upon.


We managed to get our full ride in and enjoy the fact that there was hardly any traffic on the entire route all the way to the distant point and right back until we got back home, both smiling and sweating just a bit. As I turned into the driveway at the back of the house I heard a bell ringing and thought for a moment that somebody wanted to come past. I was disappointed when I woke up to realise that the bell was the alarm clock and to find that I had only been dreaming. It was a great dream, right up there in the top ten of the dream charts, coming after a really good nights sleep.

Having taken what in fact was a night time dream ride I hoped that I had saved some energy for swimming because that is what we do on Monday morning.

After having such a bad experience last Monday when I had sneezed so violently all day until I had made my ribs ache for the rest of that week. I took two on the little Boots allergy tablets and I had made sure that I had put a nose clip into my swim bag, in a little purse so that it was easy to locate. Last Friday I had ordered several more nose clips to make sure that I had a stock to keep just for murderous Monday swims. As yet they have not arrived.

Lane 1
Warm Up
23 X 100
Swim down

For my swim this morning Steve had given me a schedule but I had a lot of trouble trying to keep the nose clip on… GGGGRRRRRR.


Steve of the all seeing eyes stopped to speak and told me to just do 50’s or 100’s because that was how long the nose clip was staying on before popping off and then floating slowly to the bottom of the pool. It was pretty irritating that the bloomin’ thing would not stop in place, even after I had taken the precaution of making sure my face was completely clear of any creams. Steve had reminded me at least ten times whilst I was getting ready to go out this morning; every now and again a booming voice would call, “Don’t put any face cream on”.


The new nose clips have still not arrived,  so I hope that having ordered three different models that ‘Please Jesus’ one of them will work for the Monday sessions.  It seems that it might be the answer since I have been perfectly OK post swim this morning with not a sneeze in sight. Fingers crossed.




No comments: