Thursday, February 23, 2017

Gun Wharf Quays: Compulsory Shopping in Pompy.



Doris Day; Que Sera Sera.......

Here as Calamity Jane,
donkeys years ago
When I was a teenager.



Even when I try my hardest, I am not very good at hiding my feelings. I am your classic open book. It will be quite plain when I am feeling top of the world and equally clear when I am as happy as a pig in a squashy mess. You will be able to tell if I’m tired and I will be pretty vocal if I get hungry and run out or steam. I am completely unguarded with my friends and can take their jibes and jokes and welcome their honesty. If anybody castes criticism of any depth my way I will accept what they say without any return fire and I will keep that filed within me so that I don’t make the same mistake again. I don’t mind a healthy discussion, God knows there is enough in the world right now to exchange views on but will not dig in and engage in a row. 


I will not take my deepest concerns to anybody other than my husband, in fact for the most part I wouldn’t have to because he knows me through and through and inside out and is anyway, spookily psychic, so I don’t even need to tell him what I am thinking because he will already know. His way of showing me that is, that he will be more caring than ever. He is so kind and understanding to me that it is utterly daft.


One of my areas of madness is that I hate shopping, to the level that I find it almost scary to go inside big store to look for what I need and I should point out that I would NEVER, EVER, just wander around the shops idly. I had been having a bit of a personal low of late and at the same time, Steve knew that I needed to go to do a little bit of town centre shopping. He used the fact that we had kindly been given a voucher for Vue Cinemas as a Christmas present, but the closest one to us is in Portsmouth in The Gun Wharf Quays shopping centre. The idea he put forward was that we could go there in the afternoon pick up my couple of bits from the shops there and then slide into the Vue Cinema there and use our gift voucher. The only other time we go to Gun Wharf Quays is on the way home from a day out on the Isle of Wight for the Sandown to Shanklin Sea swim with all the gang. When we generally hit ‘Fire and Stone’ for Pizza.


Steve knows that if I go shopping, and what I need does not jump up off the racks to greet me as I walk in the store entrance, I will quickly crack and want to go home.

So having driven to Portsmouth and parked beneath the massive Shopping mall, he held on to me whilst he looked at the plan, he chose four stores. Walked into each and asked where I would find the items I wanted. Then he frog marched me to the correct rack in four different stores, then back to the first, where he gave me four items to try on. I came out and gave him two that I did not like. He knows how to play this part of the game well. He said, he liked this one and I chose the other one. We walked to the cash desk and were free. He suggested coffee to calm down.

I told him that I was done shopping. That left us two hours until the either of the films that I suggested began again. There are very few times when I let Steve choose the movie because he has rubbish taste basically; but since he had been so kind and thoughtful (yet again) that I left him to chose an earlier movie than the ones we planned. He chose John Wick: Chapter 2! Our voucher worked well and we got drinks and munchies too and sat in the VIP seats. 


As we walked thought the vast halls of cinemas that make up the Vue Centre. Steve said that even though we both knew it was a comic book action film, that he could enjoy the action, I could sit and count how many bad guys John Wick killed, and that I had the added plus if being able to sit in the dark and drool over Keanu Reeves. I have to say that he looks good with the extra muscle weight, though if I am completely truthful, I have not yet got over Sandra Bullock and him in, The Lake House, years ago, what a beautiful film that was.


The drive from Littlehampton to Gun Wharf Quays in Portsmouth was 31 miles and took 50 minutes there and 45 minutes home in the evening.


This morning, we did an hour and ten minutes on the turbo doing a speed intervals set that worked well for us both, getting the sweaty part of the day over and done with before getting some work done.



I cannot take credit for the post I placed on FB this morning because it was one of the radio voices on my default station of Classic FM who said that because of the weather and another named storm hitting, that today must be Doris Day, Que Sera Sera, what will be will be. It is still blowing a hell of a hooley outside. I am staying put.



No comments: