Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Rest, relaxation and recovery time




Today was my first training day since last Wednesday. Last Wednesday we did our early swim as is the plan for Wednesdays and straight after that we set off for a run from the pool using the Frosty swim-run course that involves running away from the pool and into the little duck pond park there. Its very pretty little place with art-deco shelters on each side and dainty bridges and benches where if you wish you can just sit and stare and that is a nice thing to do sometimes if you have a moment or two in this busy life we all lead. There are swans and ducks and other water birds in the midst of stylish flower beds. It is also used by well mannered dog owners who live nearby and use the bins provided.


So, that morning we started with the loop around the pond and then turned back toward the sea front. We did the stretch that goes east from the pool and back, then started on the last part that continues west out to the River Arun where it meets the sea. Just after we passed the pool running toward the river that cuts West Beach off from the town, I had a sharp pain in my left knee; so sharp that I stopped running immediately. Steve looked at his Garmin 220 forerunner and it said that we are only on 1.69 miles. The Wednesday run is supposed to be 5km and is more often done in Arundel Park where it is soft underfoot.


I much prefer to run off road even with uneven ground, running on the road or road type surfaces does not suit me so well; I am happier with a variety of feeling underfoot as it is out in the countryside. Talking about how my knee felt when we walked back to the car, Steve though I should put a slab on gel ice from the freezer on it when we had got home and had cleaned up, the hot bath and then a nice icing would be just the job. I iced it again several more time during the course of the day, not leaving the ice on too long.

It was fortuitous that we had a few days off on a jolly planned. That was the trip to France and then a two night stay in Switzerland. It is annoying when something goes wrong, when a muscle or a joint pings but I don’t fret about it as I used to. It is my feeling that you should not be afraid to take a rest now and again when your poor old hard worked body throws a protest out. Maybe it is just a warning, or a gentle jingling of an alarm bell. I have never been one to carry on training when my body says REST.

From Thursday last week until Monday morning when we got home after our flash outing to see a winter sports event, the only exercise we had there was walking and we did do quite a bit of that including a long walk up a steed incline; OK it was a mountain path but we were in no hurry and had the time to admire the magnificent views on the way. Monday afternoon there was some office work that was urgent after our short break and then there was unpacking, washing, ironing, tidying to do the next day and we were so busy that the turbo session we had hoped for was lost to us.


What I am saying here is that you should never be afraid to take time to rest if you need to. Hammering on when you have pain from training is never a good idea. A little bit of rest and relaxation is a gift form heaven and something that you should accept with gratitude rather that fret yourself into a straight jacket over having to take a few days off.  I am grateful for all the joyous years I have enjoyed my sport and I am willing to accept that if I bang my nose of ‘The Wall’ now and again that I should heed the warning.

Yesterday for me was not so much Valentines day…. not something we have ever celebrated, but it was more a celebration that on February 14th I was exactly seventy seven and half years old and with my fingers crossed, I know that I am still a whole lot fitter that most of my friends from my schooldays, a number of whom have passed on to more heavenly pastures.


So lastly today, I can report that I had the most enjoyable swim this morning, a jolly good chat in the shower and then the changing room with my friend, about what is good on TV right now; Apple Tree Yard, Taboo, and as light entertainment Elementary. Then Steve and I took a nice easy paced run afterwards (Knee behaving well), before going for coffee.


Later I dropped Steve to work where I marked a couple of crates up with nice neat addresses before they were picked up to go on their journey the USA. My writing is so much more readable than Stephen’s is.



No comments: