Saturday, November 26, 2016

Winter bugs running their course



My husband Steve was held in the grip of the current coughing bug that is most efficiently doing the rounds of my friends and relatives, for almost four weeks and is still not totally clear of it. Having thought that by some strange fluke that I had escaped its grip, I started to feel the first signs a week ago last Wednesday and seem to be in for the long haul with it. When he started up coughing and spluttering he did take a variety of over the counter medication that did nothing but relieve the symptoms he was suffering only slightly.

Taking to opposite tack I have taken nothing as far at cold cures are concerned. On the advice of the Asthma nurse at the surgery, I have, according to the Asthma plan that gets put into your hand whenever you have an annual check, increased the dosage of my inhalers. I don’t think that has made any difference either. My peak flow is normal and I do not have a temperature. The most effective thing that I have been doing regularly is splashing some Pine Oil on a hankie and breathing that in when I have a coughing fit. That does have a temporary calming effect. Or Olbas Oil is readily available at the pharmacy to use in the same way except it make my eyes water. Apart from that, I have just had plenty of drinks and tried to keep warm. A hot drink made with freshly squeezed lemon and a couple of spoonfuls of honey are the most soothing.

At least six people in my circle of friends have been to their doctors and asked for Anti-Biotics. Two of my friends have had repeat courses because the first course was ineffective. The second course was equally ineffective.  Both of those two are now taking steroids.

Some of these winter bugs just have to run their course and seem to go on their own in the end. It is a thorough pain in the back side not being able to do my normal training sessions, I have to say that a short rest from my training may even be a good thing in the long run. All I have felt up to doing is a half decent walk now and again and not avoiding going up and down the stairs, in fact when I do the ironing (I am a bit of a washing and ironing freak) I take each item that is ironed immediately upstairs and put it away, giving myself far more climbs of those stairs since that is about as much effort as I can manage without making myself start to cough again.

There is a poster at the surgery that we attend, that states that no amount of anti-biotics will get rid of a cold. Add to that the sure advice that too many courses of them will lower your resistance and make them less effective when you really need them.

A little of the abundance of NHS advice to be found on the internet on this subject can be found below.

*********************************************************************************

Antibiotics are used to treat or prevent some types of bacterial infection. They work by killing bacteria or preventing them from reproducing and spreading.

Antibiotics aren't effective against viral infections, such as the common cold, flu, most coughs and sore throats.

Many mild bacterial infections can also be cleared by your immune system without using antibiotics, so they aren't routinely prescribed.

It's important that antibiotics are prescribed and taken correctly to help prevent the progression of antibiotic resistance. This is when a strain of bacteria no longer responds to treatment with one or more types of antibiotics.

When antibiotics are used


Antibiotics may be used to treat bacterial infections that:

  • are unlikely to clear up without antibiotics
  • could infect others unless treated
  • could take too long to clear without treatment
  • carry a risk of more serious complications

People at a high risk of infection may also be given antibiotics as a precaution, known as antibiotic prophylaxis.

Read more about when antibiotics are used.

How do I take antibiotics?


Take antibiotics as directed on the packet or the patient information leaflet that comes with the medication, or as instructed by your GP or pharmacist.

Doses of antibiotics can be provided in several ways:

  • oral antibiotics – tablets, capsules or a liquid that you drink, which can be used to treat most types of mild to moderate infections in the body
  • topical antibiotics – creams, lotions, sprays or drops, which are often used to treat skin infections
  • injections of antibiotics – these can be given as an injection or infusion through a drip directly into the blood or muscle, and are usually reserved for more serious infections

It's essential to finish taking a prescribed course of antibiotics, even if you feel better, unless a healthcare professional tells you otherwise. If you stop taking an antibiotic part way through a course, the bacteria can become resistant to the antibiotic.

 

No comments: