Thursday, November 3, 2016

My Shame


 

Shame, at the state of our little tiny garden forced me into action today. The move was mainly due to having been totally astonished at seeing the wonderful garden of Througham Court, in the Cotswolds a few days ago. As well as causing my jaw to drop irretrievably, it also made me see how completely inadequate I am as a gardener.

Our small terraced house has a walled back garden of roughly 25’ x 15’ and I have a job finding time to keep that looking presentable. Througham Court Garden on the other hand seems vast in comparison, no, that is not correct, it is vast. It is described on the cover of the forty odd page booklet that the owner so kindly gave me, as ‘An Extraordinary Private Garden for the Twenty First Century’ and that leaves me with nothing knowledgeable enough to pass as due further comment on it.  I would presume that one would have to book a date and time to visit because as stated on the front of the book, it is a private garden.  

Steve and I were there on Monday last on, what was actually a work day. It has been on my mind ever since though, and I find myself in a little dream every now and again with my mind’s eye walking me once more slowly through the many linked gardens in the grounds. I might even say that it was a bit of a shock that something so artistic could be created around a private house no matter how large; it is large by most people’s idea of a family home. 

Anyway back the plot: Feeling an utter disgrace myself that I cannot even manage to keep a postage stamp size garden tidy, I have spent much of today striving to do just that. Half a day later my little plot does look a tiny bit tidier and I have taken four black bags of rose trimmings and bedding plants that were on their last legs to the community tip. When I can find another day to get to grips with the sorting out of flower pots and the replacement of new soil for old, I should be getting there, and my pink cheeks restored to their usual hue. 

I used to like gardening when I was young but now that I am closer to eighty than seventy, I find that I must carefully think about what is important to me. My family, friends and the triathlon sporting life I so enjoy, are the top priorities. I also would not change my scribbling habit, sewing, reading, movies and the theatre for gardening. I have to be honest about that and say that over the past few years I have been trimming down the amount of work I do in the garden. I see the need to make changes so that I can keep the garden pretty but not too time consuming. Having said that, I am still dreaming about the spectacular grounds of Througham Court and my utter admiration

of the owner designer Christine Facer Hoffman, who is way beyond being described as having green fingers. This woman must have magic powers. 

www.christinefacer.com of Facerhoffman Landscape Design consultancy


 

No comments: