Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Tenth Circle by Jody Picoult


Ok I admit that I am a bit of a fan of Jodi Picoult’s. She is something else as writers go and I like a writer who treats their reader with a degree of respect. This tale meets my requirements nicely, always surprising and educational and very often seriously worrying. This book made me glad that my own daughter is a grown up married woman with her own businesses that keep her challenged and busy. I am also glad that I grew up in a different time when the world was not full of the pressures that teenagers have to cope with these days.
 

The book that I have just finished reading was The Tenth Circle. It has what appears on the surface to be a fairly normal family but the waves riding underneath each of them are a little bit hair-raising. What it made me feel was that we so rarely know anybody in our own circle down to the very bone and into their darkest depths. Every body lives in their own world and each world varies so much and in so many complicated inexplicable ways. We all pass warning signs and some of us pass them with less consideration than others, some come out unscathed and others are damaged forever.
 

Apart from the story; about a date rape that is questioned by everybody who hears about it, there are plots and sub plots and windows into unknown worlds. I found out a little about the Yup’ik region and people something I only had a surface knowledge of from romantic tales about those people and their lives. I had thought that there were very few of these folk and I suppose, having looked it up that 34,000 roughly, is just a few in world terms. We do take our modern soft living for granted don’t we? I enjoyed the character of the father in this story, who is a fantasy comic book artist and who had a harsh childhood brought up with the Yup’ik and still has a fairly wild thinker managed only just under the surface of his life with a college professor wife who is also no goody-goody. Essential to the story, there is also a heavy helping of Dante throughout. It’s complicated and unsweetened.
 

Much of this book was read in the middle of the night because I could not leave it for the next day if I woke up and thought about what I had already read. Earlier this year I read House Rules which was equally worrying and just as informative as this story. Last December Steve and I listened to Leaving Time, together on the long car journey to our holiday and I can say for sure that you will learn everything left that you did not know about Elephants with that book! All by Jodi Picoult. 

I do love a good book.

 

No comments: