Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Uninvited: Storm Angus and BUGS


 

Now that my husband is just in the fading stages of the massive attack of ‘Man Flu’ that struck him down for a whole three weeks, it is now my turn. I never thought for a moment that it was possible for me to escape, although it did wind me into its clutches very slowly. It was only in the tickly at the back of the nose and a slight sore throat stage when only last Wednesday, I attended the practice clinic for my annual Asthma check with Nurse Lizzie, even then my peak flow was normal. Up to that point, I had trained normally but then the cough took hold effortlessly. I did swim on Friday morning and felt OK. I felt well enough to go out with Steve on his first 5km run in several weeks and was fine during that too. It did start coughing during the day and took extra inhalers and things to suck in my handbag for the theatre trip on Friday.
 
 
Yesterday, which was Saturday; I was coughing badly from early morning and so stayed indoors. Come late afternoon, Steve made it clear in case I had any doubt that I was not going to the pool for the club session.
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

My son in law Martin had brought Louis the little black Spaniel to us because he and my daughter Jacqueline were going to a posh wedding of a friend in Stanmer House in Stanmer Park, outside of Brighton. I have thus far, not felt anything like as poorly as Steve appeared to be when he was still the proud owner of this bug, so when Steve left to take the swim session last evening I wrapped up warmly, in a huge hand-me-down Ski jacket that Steve no longer uses, and took Louis out for a brisk walk. He is used to ‘brisk’ because my daughter walks fast too. It was dark by that time and I took him out directly from home since Steve had taken the car.
 
Stanmer House Near Brighton
 

Without doubt, I have mentioned before that he is the best behaved dog in the world I am sure. My lovely daughter and I went to dog training classes with the first dog she had as a companion/friend. He was a much larger dog, a gorgeous Rough Collie called Tag. Over the years Jakki has continued to go to dog training with each of her other dogs since the classes are for social as well as obedience purposes. All of the dog’s progress through simple commands to much more advanced stuff like distant commands and hand signals. The Rough Collie was the only one so far, who in his old age worked out that if he was out of ear shot, he could escape the hand signals simply by casually not looking at you. Enter the whistle.
 

Louis is still very eager to please those he loves, which thankfully includes me and Steve, although I am better at the handling aspect, Steve’s mastery is more basic. Louis treats me and responds to me, as instantly as he does to Jacqueline and he has also learned a few extra rules that are peculiar to me e.g. He knows for sure that he cannot jump on my lap to watch TV unless invited.

 










The lead up to this in fully understood by the Prince of Darkness; he will sit and watch me with the patience of Job, as I settle down of an evening, this is a bit of a process because I am a terrible fidget. He will watch me as I gather my distance glasses, make a cup of tea or pour a glass of wine, then put on my jammies and sit in the chair. Even then, he knows that is not an invitation. I do leave it a just little while just to keep the rule in place and make concrete of it. Then I take my soft cable throw from the back of my eazi-boy chair and put it over my legs. Then and only then, I turn to look at him and lightly pat my leg and WHOOOSH! Then I tell him what a gooooood boy he is and pet him softly.
 
  Damage today by storm Angus who hit our coast hard this morning

Banging on as I am about how well trained Louis is; whilst I was taking him on his walk earlier last night, and as I point out again, that I had a huge hooded coat on, since it was raining and windy with the expected storm brewing up a  bit. The man sized sleeves cover my hands and it comes down almost to my knees. After a bit of a romp in a small park area, we had continued a tour of a nearby housing estate. It was dark apart from street lights. Louis just glances behind every now and again to make sure he is going the right way since I take several slightly different routes through there. 

At one point when he was about twenty metres ahead (no lead needed with this dog), I called a sharp; “Lou”. He looked round immediately and all I did was flick my hooded head like a teenager to tell him to cross the road, which he did do, without a single second hesitation, before continuing on in front of me.  

I did not Join Steve, Birgit and Louis on the Sunday run this morning whilst the first named storm of the season, Angus, does its 80 mph darnest. Steve listened to me coughing this morning early (5.00am) and got up, got dressed and took Louis out himself for a quick trip down to the seafront to see how the sea was behaving whipped up by Angus and to give Louis a quick burst on his banjo. He came home half an hour or so later and said “Not many people about”!!!!
 
There is a man who lives close to us who is taken for a walk by his King Charles spaniel who yanks the man along so fast that he has to lean forward holding tightly on to the lead. The dog yaps the whole time he is out, for no reason and any reason. It’s a mystery why he has never trained that dog. He cannot let it off the lead because he would never get it back. It looks like it is misery for them both.
 
 
 

No comments: