Sunday, November 27, 2016

Walking the Sunday 10km Run


 

We are going to call this morning a step forward, even though it might not be considered so by some more demanding souls. Certainly it is the biggest step I have taken in twelve days. 

My equally mad husband dropped me at the normal start point for our Sunday 10km run route at Blakehurst. That is two miles north of our home, as the crow flies. What was different about today was that it was thirty five minutes earlier than the accepted start time. The plan today was that since the cough still persists, and even in the light of me feeling more human again, that I could take a shot at the full 10 km but only at my brisk walk pace. Steve reckoned that it would take me two hours to walk the full course, which is hilly. 
 
 

Once he had dropped me off, he called in at our warehouse to pick up some boxes to drop off at a cousins home whose son, our second cousin and his family are planning to move home soon and packing must start. That would fill the thirty five minute time he had given me before he started his run and another five minutes until another club member Birgit, started her run.
 
My mode of dress was not run kit but comfy country walk kit. I also had my camera and my phone. After a couple of weeks with loads of wind and rain it was exceptionally still and quiet when I started my walk. Even just a little bit earlier than usual there were very few other people about and in fact in the first hour I saw just one mountain biker and one runner. I only took nine photos on the whole route and three of those in one spot where there is a huge fallen tree that is the most amazing shape. The wind got up as I got to the highest point and I pulled the hood of my coat up for a while.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On the wildlife front there was little of note apart from the hundreds of pheasants noisily pointing out exactly where they were to anybody who was interested. Don’t think that I am exaggerating by saying that there are hundreds of the pretty but dopey little things; hundreds is a massive under estimation, there are thousands of pheasants. Born and raised in chicken run type conditions and then used for the amusement of the idle rich and released in huge batches for the shooting season. They have no sense at all (the pheasants that is, not the idle rich) because have not had to learn how to live in the wild. They run along the roads and paths in groups of 20-50 like headless chickens. They are everywhere and rather than enhance the woodland, I feel they spoil it because it is so unnatural. It seems to me that it would be more honest to release them from traps directly into the line of fire because that is all they breed them for. This pre release into the woods as if they are wild birds makes no sense what so ever to me. So why not just make it all like a fair ground shooting gallery. Or here’s a new idea; why not offer a new, even more expensive fun day out to even richer and even more idle people and let them hunt the less rich people for whom this lark is presently conducted. Yes you’re right, I am just being silly now.
 
 

Back to my walk of the 10 km run….. So. Not a deer in sight, not a rabbit, not a squirrel. It was not until I was past the 6 km mark that a huge Kite spotted me and came swooping down to investigate. He looked at me in my hugely oversized, bright chequered coat, as it to say “Now there is a rare bird”. He did several gradually expanding circles around me before getting bored and flying off. There is no evidence of the incident, because it is very hard to stand on one spot with your head turned skyward, trying to focus your ancient camera on an object moving around at speed above you head. 
 
It was when I decided that I was not fast enough to get that shot, that I spotted Steve running on the ridge above the point upon which I stood. Better move on because he was catching up and would soon be starting on the downhill section. He caught me at the bottom of the gallops, half a mile from the finish. Well planned. I took 1 hour 54 minutes including photos and bird watching. Birgit arrived as I got back to the car.
 
 
 

Next stop Arundel and today’s choice of tea shop was Belinda’s for tea and cakes and putting the world to rights with our chatter.
 

 
 
 

No comments: