Friday, November 18, 2016

TGIF


The sea from opposite the Pool in Littlehampton 

That means that it was another swim morning of course, and I should start by making a correction from my page of two days ago, because I actually asked Hugh of the amazing shock of white curly hair, exactly how old he was since I had said that he was well into his eighties on Wednesday. I was way off it seems, since he told me that he will be ninety one in January; 91 and still flirting, what an achievement, it makes me feel like just a slip of a girl at 77.  After this little chat with Hugh I joined my friend Bekka for the swim session that is tailored to her needs and not mine really since Steve has been trying to tempt her to take swim training just a bit more seriously but I think it probably comes below the halfway line on her list of ‘Things I must do’, so he is trying to be gentle. I think the point to make here, is that she has actually got a life outside of the pool. It’s a wonder she came at all this morning, because after I told her that Steve had had to wake me in the night because I was screaming fit to wake the neighbours, after I had turned something I had read in my book, before turning off the light, into something that was happening to me, that she told me that she had a dream, where her husband had dyed his hair and since she is in fact a widow, that must have been a little disarming but I would think she would be happy to see him no matter what colour he had changed his hair to. It’s always nice to think of a loved one no matter how long ago it is since they were last with you in the flesh even if the thoughts do get mixed up in dreams.
 
When Steve and I left the pool, there was a seriously ominous cloud formation a mile or two out to sea that looked threatening and Kevin, another regular of the swim mob said “If you’re going for a run I would go the other way Daf”.




 
Weather a lot better in Arundel.
  

Steve has not quite shaken off the bug he has had for nearly three weeks now and he was planning to join me this morning for his first run since he went down with this attack on his health. On our way to Arundel to start the 5km run he told me that he had checked up in his records for me over this course, he said that the good run I had last week was in fact the fastest that the loop had been run in this post race season. Our run was a couple of minutes slower than my seasons best last week but poor old Steve was not too bad, and at least able to do the run without any ill effects after being quite poorly for so long. It was a lovely day and there are still some glowing autumn leaves about, though it was a lot muddier this morning. 

I make this next statement with fingers and eyes firmly crossed; I am very surprised that I have not come down with it, because I am the one in our family that nasty little bugs make a bee line for. There is not much you can do to ward off these things once in the house but I have been careful to sterilise the cutlery and cups Steve has used and I have been dropping Olbas oil on a wad of tissues and inhaling them every now and then because so far, all I have is a bit of congestion.  

Yesterday I went for my yearly Asthma check with the nurse at our practise, after getting a letter saying that it was well overdue. However all tests were pretty much the same as before including peak flow. The nurse, Lizzie, who I have seen on other occasions gave me a sideways look when she asked, “Are you still keeping as active as you have been with all you sport?” and I responded with “Is the Pope a Catholic?” which she ignored.
 
 

After finishing a bit of office work for Steve, the rest of the day for me involves having my hair done by my good friend Helen from directly over the road. Only a slight trim since I am still growing it, and more colour which is a constant battle because the pool water shreds the colour at the speed of the out going tide. Still its accidentally good planning, since we are off out to the theatre again tonight, this time to see ‘Stepping Out’ and poor old Anthony (from swimming) picking us up right at home right after my hair is done. We will go for a pre theatre dinner at No.1 Northgate that is right across the road from the Chichester Festival Theatre, this means we only have to park once. I have laid out my clothes ready for a quick getaway.
 
 

No comments: