Saturday, November 19, 2016

Stepping Out: Again


 

Yesterday was tightly packed and it was a wonder in the end that Steve and I were ready to go out when our friend Anthony arrived to pick us up a 5.30pm.  Having had my hair colour updated once more by my talented friend Helen over the road, the timing was tight. I never know what my latest high and low lights will be like until I look in the mirror after Helen finished drying my hair. She has my absolute trust. I have naturally curly hair and yet by the time she had finished it looked almost straight, however I knew that would not last long because it was a fairly damp old day, but it looked very pretty when I left the house.
 
 Tamzin Outhwaite

Ant, picked us up and drove to Chichester where we parked in the main car park that serves the north side of the town by the Chichester Festival Theatre. I had booked us for a pre theatre dinner at No. 1 Northgate which only means striding through the car park and crossing the under pass beneath the main road where this restaurant and bar is about as convenient as can be without actually eating in the theatre restaurant. They do a very good value set three course menu for theatre goers and the whole place was already buzzing when we got in there and were quickly seated. We had enough time for a nice relaxed chat over our meal before the short walk back to the theatre.
 
Amanda Holden
 
The show was Stepping Out, that all three of us had thought was going to be a full blown musical but actually it was more a play with some musical dance entertainment. It was a really good play that explored briefly the lives of a very mixed group of people attending a weekly tap dancing class.
 

It’s a clever play skilfully written by Richard Harris who allows the audience to, bit by bit get to know the troubling points of each of the would be dancers and the not fully committed dance teacher’s private lives. It is a great and very human tale, that is funny and sad and grasps your heart stings quickly and easily and the time flies by.

 



The dancing is not meant to be great but the slow improvement to the final two tap routines is well presented and all of the cast play their parts of ordinary people, each with a need for something just a little more satisfying than their real lives.
 
Amanda Holden, Tamzin Outhwaite, Angela Griffin, Tracy Ann Oberman and Nicola Stephenson are all brilliant as they in the end, turn a hotch-potch of troubled souls into a thoroughly entertaining dance troupe. This is Angela Griffin.

 
 
 
 
 

The CFT was jam packed and brimming once more with happy theatregoers by the end of the evening.

This is Tracy Ann Oberman
 






Steve and I were still talking about the show this morning and I once more gave my poor, long suffering husband a short instructional demonstration session of some of the basic tap dance steps. Steve has had to suffer my dancing all the years we have been together and I find his tolerance as interesting as he finds the fact that I can still remember and perform all the dance steps I practiced as a child and a teenager sixty odd years ago. This morning I performed the three basic time steps for him in our kitchen showing the progression in difficulty. I don’t know which of us is funniest or the maddest but I am happy to take the crown if offered.
 
Tamzin Outhwaite looking more glam


 

No comments: