Friday, September 30, 2016

Coffee Fast and good intentions


 
Every time my husband goes away I take a coffee break. What that means, is that I do not call in to any of the coffee shops for the duration of the time that he is not home. This gives me at least thirty minutes or maybe an hour per day to catch up on MY list of things to do. I am trying to cut down on my own coffee intake and will try to manage on two cups per day maximum. The reason being that because I don’t drink black coffee, I add a heaped spoonful of creamer and on the first two of a normal day and add a spoonful of Manuka honey because I believe it is good for me. A training friend of mine who is a doctor, and not backwards in coming forward as far as adding an honest opinion is concerned said recently ‘Belief goes a long way’. I also believe that if I have as many coffees as I have been taking in the course of a day, that the one spoonful twice per day could possibly slide to being four or more spoonfuls per day and so the combined total of calories from the extra creamer and the extra honey could and ok lets say it; probably is the reason I am heavier than I would like to be. 

Add to all that, that when Steve is home he likes a dollop of ice cream after what is in fact a nice healthy diner e.g. chicken and salad, then all goodness is shot down by the presentation of the ice cream bowl.

Whilst Steve is away there will be no more than the declared maximum of two coffees per day. There will not be any ice cream for dessert; there will also not be any glasses of wine at all. I will replace all the bad food things with fruit, the wine will be replaced by mineral water and the creamy sweet coffee will be changed to a cup of tea with no milk or sweetening. I have a selection of fancy tea that is made up, one cup at a time served black and not too strong. 

Starting tomorrow, there will not be any meat or even fish for dinner. I will eat salad. I will eat vegetables that are grown above the ground and some eggs. This is not an attempt to become a vegetarian because I do enjoy meat dishes. It is simply that it is a diet that works for me.  

I do intend to slowly lose the weight that I have gained in the last couple of years and feel that if I wish to continue running, that I have to make it easier for myself. One can carry a few extra pounds swimming and also riding a bike but it makes it very hard running. Being my age is not helpful either, I recognise these facts and need to try to make my lifestyle that means so much to me just a little bit easier. I step on the scales in the morning.

No comments: