Thursday, September 8, 2016

Going Out Smelly!


 
 
I do hate going out smelly! Or when I think I am a bit smelly! This morning I HAD to no choice but to be smelly when I was conned once more this week into going to work again.  Steve and I had squeezed a run into and already overstretched plan for today. We gathered an armful of clean-ish cloths to take with us to out on for work after we had finished our run. The run was to be what Steve had referred to ‘A circular route’ but actually the only thing that could possibly connect the route this run took to a circle, is that it ends at the point where it started. It will be our last bit of training before our race at the weekend in Brighton. So we parked our car and started off basically westwards and downhill, I prefer starting downhill, which of course if the total opposite for Steve, he hates running downhill and I love it. After about one km we turned left into the woods where we followed a narrow path that could be a deer track it is so erratic; twisting and turning, uphill, downhill, uneven surface with broken twigs and roots everywhere. During this phase the ‘Circle’ had more loops in it than a gymnast doing floor exercises with a ribbon. Then eventually we came out on a one track woodland road to run first downhill again and then steeply uphill hack to where Marcus (our little slightly rusty VW car), was waiting for us. It was a good workout, though quite short and we were both drenched in sweat when we had finished. The weather has been so warm for September. We changed into our work clothes and Steve said there was time for coffee in Arundel before we went in to work. 
 
 
 

I think it was Rita Hayworth who years ago, was quoted as saying, ‘Horses sweat, gentlemen perspire and ladies simply glow!’ Well, I was more like a racehorse who had just finished the Grand National, so I don’t go in the ladies section. Having been told by my husband that he only needed me a few minutes just to make a list of photos he had to take, I was not best pleased when I saw the mountain of small items that needed unpacking, photographing, listing and repacking. During the time when we were struggling to get that job done, we had three more deliveries of goods for the same clients. I was much happier when another pair of hands arrived in the form of our friend Tim Baylis who is better than both of us at a bit of neat photography and listing work.
 
 
 

I had another call to make before returning home, (Yes I was still smelly) and when I eventually got home I had completely lost the entire morning. The only redeeming feature of the day was that I had my new CD playing that is blissfully peaceful. Having heard it three times completely through, and I will definitely be going to the World Premier live performance of the totally new piece of music called, In a South Downs Way, when it is performed at the Minerva Theatre in Chichester in mid November.
 
 
 
 
The music is interspersed with Hugh Bonneville reading from his own collection of South Downs poetry, all fairly short pieces and perfectly match the mood of the music that so accurately draws images of the wonderful hills, woods and valley’s that I love so much. I have long claimed that you are never alone on a walk around the Downs because it is home to so many spirits. Even so I was quite stunned to hear from his own words that he has seen them too. I thought it was just me; Mad Old Bat of Littlehampton, who saw Roman soldiers on the Downs and other ghosts in the woods. The music was written by Damian Montagu and I understand that this only recently released album, went straight to No.1 in the iTunes Classical Chart after Hugh Bonneville chose one of the tracks to have played on BBC Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs. The music is already on my own favourites list.
 
 
When I was mourning the death of my Mother, I walked the South Downs Way on my own. It proved a good way to think through my feelings, trying to sift though what I should keep in my heart and what I should try to forget, if I was to get my head on straight again. It was a difficult time for me and a bit of fresh air, silence and beauty can be very clarifying and restorative. I started at the Eastbourne end.
 
 
 
 



 

No comments: