Thursday, September 29, 2016

Lucifer and all the Angels


 

These past few weeks I must admit to finding Tom Ellis playing the lead in the TV show Lucifer very funny and most entertaining and he is splendid as Lucifer Morningstar. If you look that upon the internet, he is described as the most beautiful of angels, the shining one, the light bearer, bringer of the dawn. Well this Lucifer may not be everybody’s idea of what an angel looks like but I am finding poor old Luci most acceptable as a bedtime story before we turn in for the night. It is funny and I will make all sorts of allowances for something that may be far from perfect, but that makes me smile and leaves me with a warm glow of amusement. My first laugh out loud moment; was when he said to the young woman who had got life all wrong, “Don’t tell the Devil made you do it because I know he didn’t”. That is just one of the devilish one liner’s that make very light stuff of this particular portrayal of the Prince of Darkness. Of course he knew that, because he is the devil. When I was a child I always told my parents that the Devil made me do it whenever I was caught being naughty.
 
 
 I do love a good angel brought in as a character, being somebody who has several times now stayed overnight in the room in a hotel in the Black Forest where it is claimed that Dr Faustus stayed and is where the Devil came to claim back what was an outstanding debt. Years ago I went to the tiny and scruffy little cinema The Palladium in Littlehampton. They were showing Dr Faustus with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. I went on my own because nobody else I knew wanted to see it. The little cinema was none the less full with townsfolk who did want to catch it. At the moment where Mephistopheles appears to Faust in a vile guise I jumped out of my skin and grabbed hold of the man sitting next to me which in turn made him jump too.
 
 
 

There have been lots of Angels as characters in movies over the years I loved John Travolta as Michael and how lovable was Nicholas Cage in City of Angels and Tilda Swinton was a great Gabriel.

 


 
The first Angel my daughter and her little friend Helen encountered was a very young Tony Robinson in a children’s’ nativity in the Chichester Festival Theatre where I think he was an angel called Chicago in a delightful new show, Follow the Star. He was an apprentice angel sent to tell Mary the good news but he kept getting things wrong. He was lovely in that, long before he became Baldrick. Here below is the Angel Earl in Saving Grace.
 
 

The Parking Angel is one introduced to me by my daughter who like me often needs this most useful service. This Angel is most helpful I find when spoken to nicely. 

 The Parking Angel 

Not by chance I have driven in to town
Necessity calls for responsive obedience
Drivers behaving worse than a circus clown
Each in greater need face a stern frown
Only to themselves holding allegiance 

Nearing the destination of the day
Awareness is set a different test
Focus changing from traffics array
Instead a search to park and stay
My method varies from the rest 

No spaces anywhere in plain sight
Help is needed and I offer a prayer
To the Parking Angel on winged flight
Who seems to know where is right
And guides me to a spot newly there 

She only helps her faithful few
Respect the only payment we need
To the feathered apparition due
Whilst some at the car park entrance queue
Quietly thanks to her I will concede.
 
 
Archangel 
Will there be an angel above to watch over me
As I pursue my continually active path
Will my angel be pleased with what in me they see?
Will my enemies ever see my guardian’s wrath? 
 
My angel knows me well but I can only dream
As to how my heavenly partner would appear
I fit in with the almighty’s well planned scheme
Or do both God and angel think me very queer 
 
Ultimately I am left with a freedom of will
Making the best of each branch of life’s tree
Just try my hardest my dreams to fulfil
As I launch myself onto an earthly Grand Prix 
 
Hold on in my mind to what I think is the theme
Now ride the waves and heaven help me steer
If I’m wrong let the angel send a warning beam
And check the reins for a path more austere 
 
Demeanour be approved as I ride adventure’s sea
Protect me with your sword held high in goodwill
Your armour glinting as I run before you free
Send me your warnings via a plucked wing quill 
 
Angel tresses of gold reflect in sunlight gleam
Mighty wings wafting my spirit with good cheer
Pray for my safety and find it in my celestial team
With perseverance push and hope the way is clear 
 
Fight for success ‘til the end of the mission see
Gather interest now from my training hours drill
God give me strength I ask on bended knee
Push on doggedly my focus kept on icy chill 
 
The Archangel rides on inside my poor soul’s sphere
And has my back as I feel each tender muscle scream
Then at last the end is in sight and to the finish veer
To complete our work that so many think extreme
 
 
 

 

No comments: