Monday, September 26, 2016

How was my day? ……Busy!



 
Above: My lovely skin thirty years ago before I baked it in the sun racing.

It was to be a busy day even though I have had to miss the 6.30am swim session at Freedom Leisure Littlehampton this morning. The reason for this is that despite any rumours you may have heard from my husband, I am not Super Woman or an Angel or a Witch or The Bard of St. Moritz, all of which he calls me from time to time, therefore I cannot be in two places at once. A couple of days ago I had a phone call from somebody at Radio Sussex who did a general check up to make sure that everything they had on file about me was correct. Then they told me that there was to be a Festival of Older People, 50+ during this week and would I be able to talk to one of the presenters on Monday 26th, today. I said I had a few things to do and one appointment at 14.20 but otherwise I could move things around to suit. He said would 7.25 am be OK? That was my early swim out of the window then, but my swimming is good right now and it will not hurt to miss one session out of the four per week that I do; I am not so addicted to training that I have any fear about missing one session because life threw a trick shot. It is a mistake to try to refit a lost session in somewhere else because that would take the science out of most programmes.  

When I did get the live call from Radio Sussex it was just a brief chat with Neil Pringle. Still there was enough time to hopefully make a few older people think about trying to do a little work out. He ask me if I thought that doing so much exercise was bad for an old person’s body like mine and I was able to say that it was much worse for you not to do any exercise. 

 
 
 
I took Steve to work when he came back from swimming; he had tuned in to Radio Sussex in the car park at the pool and managed just to catch my few moments on air. On my way back I squeezed in a couple of jobs before going to get my nails done in the town centre. Sitting still whilst James does his best to make at least my hands look pretty at Divine Nails, is sheer torture and is the longest I ever sit still, being an Olympic class fidget. Getting the nails done is one of the few things left to me that I can make look nice. After that, it was home to get a few jobs done for our business that Steve had rung me about.

 

 
 
 
My doctor had referred me to the Sussex Community Dermatology Service. This is one of the new centres that is part of Worthing Hospital. It will be about my eighth visit to dermatology for treatment for sun damage on my face, caused of course, by all the time spent in blazing sun during long triathlon races during the twenty six years of my utter pleasure and pain pursuing the sport I love. Today my appointment was with Dr. Cherng Jong. I have seen a number of different doctors but this is the first visit to the Worthing Laser and Skin Clinic that must be a new unit in the ever expanding Worthing Hospital. There were several little things on my face that needed to be checked, I had my fingers crossed. Dr Jong was utterly charming and helpful and understanding. He explained everything to me and made sure that I fully understood. He freeze burnt a little blip and talked in detail about the sun damage to my face.  He said that I should go back in six months.
 
 
 
 

Today was the first time ever in all my years that I have been called from the waiting room as Daphne! I suppose the world has moved on in the same way as waiting staff in coffee houses and restaurants call a couple, ‘Guys’. So here is my advice for today: Put the sun block on Guys!






No comments: