Friday, September 9, 2016

Hawaii 5-5 Ian Sweet


 Hawaii 5-5 with Ian Sweet
 
 

Such a nice man. US Navy Commander John Collins, one of those responsible for inventing Ironman Hawaii Triathlon and competing in the first race that was to spread like the plague. 

Once this weekend is out of the way my twenty sixth season in triathlon will be over. This week I got to looking at photos in my ‘Hero’s and Legends’ file. So without too many more words, here are a few of them that have been inspiring to me and I have been lucky enough to meet at the hundreds of events that Steve and I have been daft enough to compete in. Here and now, involving the most memorable occasion of my many years in the great sport of triathlon. I had the pleasure of meeting John Collins when I was competing in my first Ironman Hawaii in 1994 having qualified for the race in Lanzarote in May earlier that season.
 
 
It was later in that summer that I got a phone call from Ian Sweet, who was at that time the voice we all knew as the commentator on any triathlon event that was shown on Eurosport at that time. Ian explained that he would be going to Hawaii filming for Eurosport and thought it would be nice to show athletes from the age group perspective as well as just covering the elite race. It was almost too exciting for words.
 
 
 

The film was called Hawaii 5-5 because that was my age group at the time and was a nice play on the TV series. The final film was quite long and I was surprised at how many people saw it, but Eurosport is very popular, was then and is now. People from all over the place told me how much they had enjoyed it. It was the most enormous fun for me because Ian had me interviewing so many of the stars of my sport. Ian would set up times and places and I would talk to all these hero’s and ask them for advice for my first shot at the greatest race on the triathlon calendar. It was heaven for me and it all got me well treated because I was there with Ian Sweet and his filming equipment.
 
 




The interview with absolute legend Dave Scott took place on the Breakfast Cruise and there was a complimentary trip on the submarine tour too. Trailing around with Ian Sweet who knew EVERYBODY was such a buzz. The whole thing was a total dream for which I have not stopped mentally thanking Ian for involving me in.

 

 

 



There were a load of great perks that came my way on that trip. The whole trip was a whirl of fun for me and also worked so that it did not allow me time to get nervous. We were taken on a tour of the bike course in a private plane!!!!! There was a tour of the Chocolate Factory although that had very little to do with triathlon but provided some nice chocky tasting and was part of the deal with the flight since the pilot was the guy who owned the Chocolate company. AND... the Zip wheels that saw me through so many long bike rides.




Mark Allen and Julie Moss at Solana Beach, California. Where Steve and I did the Rough Water Swim before going out to Hawaii. At the awards ceremony afterwards Julie Moss was sitting next to us with her baby and I am horrified to admit that I did not recognise her until Mark came along. We have spent lots of holidays in the San Diego area with old friends and
Have seen Mark Allen and Paula Newby Fraser sometimes swimming in the Canyon View Pool in their Masters programme.




Paula Newby Fraser who I have met many times and who always finds time for a few words of encouragement. A true Goddess.
 
 
With Scott Tinley here, another true hero who I am so lucky to have talked to.
 

 

 

 

No comments: