Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Human Contact Please


 

What is all this business with text messages? What’s wrong with speaking to people on the phone? Don’t give me that it’s the cost factor because it seems to me that there is plenty of money around for the social obsessions with coffee and wine and cocktails. 

What is the reason? Do we not want to actually converse with each other any more? Does it prevent arguments it you have to tap it out on your phone? It beats me. I like to call people and I really love it when a friend or family member calls me but that is happening less and less. 

A couple of days ago a friend just popped in to us at home. It was so unusual that I thought Steve was talking on the phone and didn’t move from the work I was doing on the computer until I clearly heard the other guy’s voice. He had not phoned to say he was coming and had definitely not texted. 

This week I have been trying to make arrangements for us to meet Steve’s cousin Sally so that we can hand over her birthday present, her birthday being over a week ago, but it seems so difficult to find a time that suits everybody. There have been umpteen PMs on Facebook and we still have not fixed anything up. 

These days there are more holidays, that is for certain and one family is away for a while and then when they come back the other group have to go on a work trip. That would be us, we are either away working or there is an event that we have competed in. 

It there really so little time? Where has that time gone? Or is it that there is a wave of anti social activity?  My daughter lives two miles away and I have to send a dozen messages before I can negotiate a mutually acceptable time to call round to see her. Yes, she is very busy. She has a sports massage business and is also trying to build a photography business. I am busy too. I still do all the computer work for our business and have other little chores thrown at me. And sometimes I don’t have a car because Steve has taken it to work as he has today because our little van is at the mechanics garage having work done on it. I could go round on my bike and that it something I do do sometimes, but they are very often out when I get there. 

We are all too busy, and that goes for Steve and me too. Trying to run a business as we are both getting older, trying to fit some training in, trying to still have some fun, go to the cinema or going to the theatre and still eating sensibly in a world where fast food is an option taken by many. 

I wonder if I am the only one left in the world who likes it when people pop in un-announced. It is probably a couple of years since my daughter just turned up at our home, without it being a birthday. Whenever it was, I don’t remember. This year I have tried to make sure that we meet at least once a month for dinner or just for a glass of something. It has been hard to find times that suit us all. 

When did the world get so un-friendly? Only our sports friends are seen regularly because we all meet at the pool or in the café after the run. Perhaps it is the lack of exercise that makes people avoid each another, not enough energy to talk. 

When I was a new mum of twenty three years old, living in a village eight or nine miles away from my parents and friends from my single days, and I had not even dreamt of having any driving lessons and could certainly not afford a car. So I would push my baby girl in her pram; and that was a big old fashioned pram and not a conveniently folding pushchair, I walked the mile to Angmering Station and got the train into Worthing, where I walked about a mile or two at least to my mum and dads house. They were always pleased to see me and my gorgeous baby girl, especially the little one, and they expected me to make that journey a couple of times per week. 

It all seems such a big deal these days to arrange a little get together just for a short chat and a catch up on how the world is for each of us. I may start a personal war against the text. Starting with me, should I stop texting just because every else finds that the only way to communicate? Maybe! The next time somebody says “Text me,” I will say, “I’ll call you”, because I am sure that they will not call me. 

I get mountains of emails. I send mountains of emails. It’s not the same and I am missing proper friendship, missing the love.
 
Rant over. 

Signed  

Mrs Moaning Minnie

No comments: