Saturday, September 24, 2016

Flight of Fancy


 
1.
Being the slowest swimmer of the group I had been given a ten minute start
Then I would not be left alone in the sea too far behind the rest of them
Somebody to sight on and hunt down, when they came to depart
I felt like a flower selected for a buttonhole, snapped off at the stem

2.
Dropped off on the beach with my friend Christine as timekeeper
 My husband, our coach, stayed with his flock to park and prepare
Stepping painfully on the pebbles I slipped in slowly never the leaper
As the sea raised me gently off my feet I offer up a silent prayer

3.
The temperature felt considerably colder than the previous week
The current, taking its usual high tide swirl back along the shore
Toward the river Arun, England’s second fastest river at its peak
 The tow would be with me but the wind would not, that was just sod’s law

4.
The wind was directly from the west and causing a bit of a swell
Strangely for a dull day a large umbrella and small beach camp there
An angling event from the beach, one per breakwater far as I could tell
 I headed further out for safety not wanting fish hooks in my hair

5.
I got into a nice rhythm fairly quickly and settled in for the task in hand
At the best of times, even in still water I rarely swim a straight line
 With big waves and a washing machine action swirling up the sand
I stick my head down and swim for twenty strokes and check I’m fine
 
6.
Each time I found I heading off diagonally to the French coast
Having to straighten up and try to keep in line with the shore.
I breathing to my left means that I was looking to sea for the most
Honestly at my worse that day trying to a straight course to claw

7.
I have another reason to swim somewhat further out from the waters edge
I hate swimming over the submerged breakwater underneath
A huge barnacled monster reaching up for me or so it seems I pledge
After all my swimming years it makes me jump, I should just bar my teeth

8.
An imagination like mine can spin off like a children’s spinning trick
So a line just a bit further out takes those things out of view
“You’ll smell land where there’ll be no land”, from Moby Dick
That thought run through my head started images anew

9.
I am not afraid of the sea, or the feeling of the power of the water.
The feeling that I am very small in a great, swirling, heaving mass
 On the top of the wave I am a scrap of seaweed like Neptune’s daughter
A powerless feeling of being washed around, held and dropped alas

10.
There were a few seagulls around, flying just overhead, quite low,
 Maybe they were curious, eyed me with eyes brighter not duller
The sky was overcast but occasionally the slightest sunshine would show
Instantly turned the sand laden waters a startling bright golden colour

11.
Concentrate I told myself, think of the stroke don’t wander
Swimming for what felt like twenty minutes eight groynes slowly past
Visualise now don’t allow drift off, it a long way to the end
Stick with it now, dig in, or never make it to the last

12.
Think of the rhythm settle down in a smooth rolling pace
By the shore of Gitchie Gumee, that will get me there
By the shining Big-Sea-Water, then pick up a working pace
With mental metronome beating Hiawatha sparks a flare

13.
I am Hiawatha’s canoe, my hands and arms the paddles place
Thou the wild flower of the forest, so far along I swim on again
Thou the wild bird of the prairie, the poem make’s a warming pace
Now swim to the rhythm of the words softer strokes I fain

14.
Soon my friends one by one started to pass, gone my reverie  
A shocking pink hat forging ahead, two more and then
My husband managed to swim right over me, gouging me
Between me and the waves ending on the beach again  

15.
I plodded on trying to keep up a slightly faster cadence so
As to keep my body temperature from dropping too much.
Once you start to get cold it can affect your stroke you know
Quite significantly your pace will get slower and shorten your touch

16.
Having been passed by the main group I settled back into my work,
 Enjoying being alone in the somewhat lumpy, slappy sea.
The movement of the water is hypnotic and dangers do lurk
Sheer pleasure of the movement tears my concentration from me

17.
I took the time instead to turn my thoughts the job in hand
With ineffective work, core temperature will gradually drop,
Preceding hypothermia, so plan where the hand should land
For cold before you know it can force you to stop

18.
Most of the gulls had peeled of and flown trailing away
All but one who stayed with me, flying close enough to feel
Hovering on the headwind hoping marine life on the way
My movements might provide him with a handy meal

19.
The waves were rolling in almost head on dashing on each batch
I had took a more than a few mouthfuls of the salty sea
I told myself, ‘think about the stroke girl make that catch’
Stretch out, pull it back and push the hand away behind me.

20.
The seagull was still with me and our eyes firmly met
When I made a big long axis body roll to see his position
He swooped down and gently touched my finger, no bite yet
My arm moved during my stroke recovery, he though I was nutrition

21.
 Reflections in a golden eye, a very close very golden eye
It did not seem to be aggressive but maybe it was a missed peck
I turned over onto my back as if to pose the question why
I swear he shrugged his shoulders with the slightest crick of neck 

22.
Ignoring my new friend or enemy which ever was the case here
I swam on looking at the sea and sky above to my left
This was becoming a weird swim then I began to fear
The clouds are joining in the fun, forming a strange cleft
 
23.
Heavy rain clouds were drifting along on a plain so high
The sky had dramatically darkened perhaps a storm was due
 Images in clouds, here in a cauliflower cloud a huge crisp almond eye
With the rain clouds ahead it seemed strange to see that patch of blue

 24.
The clear blue space in the cloud was distinct, an eye, plain to see
 Centrally a small white fluffy cloud forming the iris of my eye
I smiled at the thought of someone up there watching out for me.
I am not averse to a bit of spirituality and felt a calming sigh

25.
Having wandered off mentally I set back into getting this long hard swim done
All the coloured beach huts on the shoreline had unnoticed passed
I was closing on the first basket and could make out the next one
 Nibbled away at the course breakwaters close to the end at last

26.
A line of sea baskets would make navigation easier but still not to shirk
 I kept an eye on the big eye as it focused peacefully on me
I always thought of myself as a pretty unsinkable a buoyant piece of work
 Not afraid of the current and to fight it a fool you’d surely be

27.
I went on trying to settle my breathing down making sure to fully exhale
You can’t breathe in a full lung capacity of fresh air
If you have not exhaled all the stale used air first, my fingers looked pale
Calm down; relax give myself to the water I was almost there

28.
Relaxing for the last part, swim toward shore beneath that heavenly eye
Flat in the water no aches or pains but happy to have ended this test
At last the swim is at an end the cloudy eye closed and passed on by
Undeterred by seagulls that had been such a pest, now away to their nest




 

 

No comments: