Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Visit to Australia


I had to visit my friends in Australia last night
They were happy to see me there at their home
There was a long flight to Perth with one stop
As there was when I flew there twice before
It was important that I went it was a mission
David had an original document that was mine
Ann had found it in a suitcase during a search
They wanted to put it into my hand personally
When I stayed with them some time before
They had a bungalow with a neat garden
It was light and bright with visiting crows
Who tapped at the window to be given food
 
Now my friends had moved to an apartment
Right at the top of a skyscraper in the city
It was a mystery to me but they insisted I came
Dave told me that this was vitally important
They had a meal prepared a reunion for us
Anne was my best friend when we were young
We met long before either of our marriages
Met them both on a first date so many years ago
We girls got on like the classic house on fire
Becoming closer over months then years
Sharing gossip then worries then fears 

The document was in an old envelope sealed
What it contained was not that night revealed
My friend said nobody should see me leave
And lead me through to a small back room
There he lifted a centre square of old carpet
There was a panel with a handle in the floor
Dark staircase down like a metal fire escape
Just a small space to get through the trap door
Deep inside the building black as pitch
Flight after flight of steps never ending
Then a dark passageway with only a torch
Then more ladders clanging and echoing
Impenetrable darkness invading all around
I could hear David’s voice telling me to hurry
Not understanding how that could possibly be
Yet his strong voice was there at every step
When I had climbed down so far and so long
Every time the metal steps came to an end
Another passageway and another trap door
 
It was one of the highest sky scrapers
What was happening
Why was I crawling through
Dripping down like blood coursing through a vein
I had no idea how many floors had passed
I thought I reached the end at last
No still many were still to be travelled
My pulse started racing as if my heart would burst
Panic was clawing at me
The darkness devouring me
Again David’s voice telling me I was almost there
 
What was happening how could I hear him so clearly
I took a deep breath and realised he was in my head
What did he want with me what had he said
He was I was sure then only in my head
Another clear realisation was
A cold draft and I knew because
 
David was since many years ago…..
Dead.



 

No comments: