Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A Sad Dream


It was a funeral
In a French mansion
A château
It had a grand sweeping gravel driveway
Gloomy inside
It was quite austere
The atmosphere was hushed
It was a mystery to me
Not knowing who had passed away.
They must have been well known
There were a few celebrities there
From the movie world.
Everybody except Steve and I
Were wearing old fashioned clothes
All in respectful mourning
Mostly black clothes but with a little white
White shirts and some wore white spats.
I was much younger than my current years
I had a velvet trouser suit
That looked quite modern
Compared to the outfits of others
Yet I know it must have been
At least fifty years ago
My hair was dark
Brunette
My natural colour
When I was young
The hair style was like Snow White
In the Disney movie
Steve was wearing his current ‘Funeral Suit’
That is about the only time he wears it
Isn’t that weird?
Most people wear dressed
In late Victorian or Edwardian clothes
I wore my sixties pants suit
My hair had been set in rollers
Bouffant.

Amidst the hubbub
I heard Alan Rickman’s voice
He walked into the room where we were.
He looked dignified and stately
As he so easily would
 
Standing a little way off from
Alan Rickman was a man in a white suit
Slim and looking tired and worn
I realised that it was Dirk Bogarde
He was wearing the clothes that he wore
In what may have been his last film
I racked my brain to think
Was it Death in Venice
I remember it was agonising to watch
In the latter part of the film
He sat on the beach in Nice
It was baking hot and he had a huge parasol
He sat on the beach in the blazing heat
All day long
Shirt, tie, waistcoat
Suit and hat, socks and shoes
Suffering his inner turmoil in old age
As he had in life
And as Dirk Bogarde had in life
And here he was
At the funeral in a Château
Still suffering
Quiet turmoil
His wonderful expressive eyes
In agony
A private grief
For somebody he loved
He always remained
Dirk Bogarde in a part
And yet expressed
The deepest feelings
With his bearing
and those eyes.
He wore that grief now
At this funeral
So devastated
That nobody spoke to him
Beyond comfort




 

No comments: