Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Easier Holiday Days


 
 


Now we are simply on holiday. The big race is over. The photos are all downloaded and resized ready for sending by email or for posting on Facebook. High on the list of ‘Must Do’ chores post event, is to get the race day kit and clothing washed, dried and put away. Since my dear husband could hardly walk and Anthony had to go to the hospital for stitches in his leg in the early hours of his fifty first birthday, the collection of Stephens race kit that was unfortunately delayed until 9am on post race day. This caused the nasty sweaty bike clothes and the wetsuit that had been placed in plastic bags, that were then left for the remainder of race day and through the horrendous thunderstorms overnight and the next morning, to be nicely stewed at a low heat and were recovered, festering well.  

When we got the bags back to our hotel I threw all the kit in our poor unsuspecting bath and left them to soak for a while. The bathroom took on an unpleasant odour none the less. I washed everything several times before hanging it all up over the bath or out on our balcony. I then, smiled sweetly at the housekeeping staff, crossed palms with a little money and asked if I could have a change of towels and no cleaning, since I did not want to be thrown out of the hotel because of the mess that had been made, turning our apartment into a laundry for clobber that smelled as though a group of feral cats had enjoyed a stay. It smells sweeter now again so I will let the ladies in to clean after a three day break. 

Stephen did not register to do the same race next year. I had in a more calm tone of voice the next day said that, if he did enter again that I would not even come with him for the attached holiday, and that I was happy enough for him to go with a group of other guys but I definitely would not ever again be back up crew and that if he did go and I stayed at home, that I would not even track him to see where he was. 

My reason for being so unkind is that I find the whole thing more and more stressful, I had had to lay down for an hour race day, because I felt so awful after he had gone by on the bike for the second lap. I had pains in my back that was, I thought the start of an asthma attack and after taking the inhalers and a rest I recovered enough for the rest of the day. He has competed in thirty one Ironman races and suffered quite badly in the last three. I have competed in eighteen races of that distance and stopped when the last few had made me feel ill. I think some tiny inkling of sense is called for. 

Yesterday Steve took five hot baths and rested some in between. I fell asleep after lunch and that is unheard of for me in daylight hours; not a nap, but sleep of the dead.
 
By evening we all felt a bit better but the three of us were walking badly when we went out for a birthday dinner up in the mountains to celebrate Anthony’s birthday, he had not planned to spent his day with stitches and bandages and plasters over his legs. Steve took him to the airport this morning for his flight home.  

We have a few more days in this pretty Austrian village. At the end of the week, we will be driving to Germany in support of a younger athlete that Steve swim coaches, Craig Hunter, who is competing in Ironman Frankfurt. That event should not be more than some pleasant spectating and shouting encouragement at a much younger fitter athlete.
 
 

No comments: