Thursday, June 2, 2016

Bike Ride In Burgundy


There was a break in the rain yesterday and Steve and I took advantage of that and went for a bike ride. We both know the area well after all the years of three to four times a year working here. Steve threw the bikes in the little van, Petra the Peugeot, and we beetled along to a start point for our very favourite canal path ride. It is traffic free and in wonderful countryside full of Kite’s, Buzzards, Woodies, Jays, and Herons galore. The ride is mainly flat with little down hills at each of the seven or eight locks on the way out toward Chalon, then of course that adds some tiny but sharp climbs on the return. I have to work hard to keep up with Steve which is good for me. He swore he was not taking it easy though and was pleased with me. I always prefer him to be pleased; we like to make each other happy. 

Last night I started a new book, Where There’s Smoke, by Jodi Picoult. I was disappointed on two counts; the first was that I immediately realised that it was a prequel to another of her books, without looking it up I think it was called, Leaving Time. Nothing wrong with that you would think, unless you are looking forward to something entirely different in your new read, as I was. 

It deals with the period where the famous Medium is deserted by her Spirit contacts because they lose respect for her, on account of her Diva behaviour. At the same time she begins to be plagued by a young soldier who is livid and having been killed in action by friendly fire. He expresses this anger by setting fire to things every few minutes, because she is not helping him, or his young wife, who had asked her to contact him. She just wanted to hear that he loved her and missed her.
 
The second problem that almost got my wild up was that it was a short story! NO! A good short story but not what I had promised myself. 

Steve found me a book by David Baldacci, who he knows I like, he had it on his iPad Kindle, but after only a few pages I knew that I have already devoured that book some time ago.

My Kindle just keeps telling me I am not connected. GGGRRRRRRRR!
 
Plus; it’s raining again today and the forecast promises the same until Sunday. I know what will happen; we will leave to drive home to England tomorrow and be met by the same spiteful, dreary depressing band of extreme wetness that has by then drifted north to the UK.
 
 
 
 

No comments: