Thursday, June 16, 2016

Austria



                                   

It’s always a panic getting through the last few days before going on holiday is it not. I have been trying to pack with some sort of system this time. Otherwise due to the fact that we are driving to Austria in our little van, Petra the Peugeot, we just throw everything in, because we know that we can take whatever we like because there is plenty of room. This time will be different. This time I am making a sensible list. Two pairs of trousers, shorts, capris for running, cycle shorts, running shorts, trainers and sandals. Two tee shirts, two shirts each.

That plan lasted a day or so and then we both started just chucking in a few ‘in case of items’. A coat, a cardigan in case of rain, or cold, shorts in case it’s hot. Reading matter; we both have Kindles but I also have the current issue of Mslexia, The Big Issue and a puzzle book (because I have to shut my brain down from its wild ramblings before I can write anything and a quick puzzle does that for me.) We also have our complete tea and coffee making bag and when I say complete that means our own cups and totally different preferences in coffee, my Manuka honey and our own ice cream spoons. Ice cream tastes soooooo much nicer eaten from a silver spoon, I am not kidding with that one. 

This morning we started off in another panic because our postal ballot vote forms had not arrived. I must check on that later and make sure I mention that we asked for postal votes because we are away for the referendum, so them turning up next week is not good. Then I went to Sainsbury’s to get a holiday supply of Jelly Snakes because we Brits know that Haribo is just not the same, although Klagenfurt, does have a whole shop for Gummi Bears of every flavour; A whole shop! Upon my return, I found the postal vote envelopes on the door mat, so that panic was solved at least.  

My friend Helen from across the road has been in this afternoon to trim my hair up for the trip and to chew the fat. She usually does my colour too but although I needed a bit snipped because I am growing it for a while, (it still has to be trimmed) I didn’t need it coloured, since I was ‘Bad’ and had it done when I was in France a while ago. Helen is such a good natured girl friend that she was not even surprised, I am so lucky to have such lovely friends and neighbours. It makes a difference to the world, being able to trust and rely on people. 

My sister and her husband are coming to stay in our house whilst we are away, so they will have a holiday here, away from the darkest depths of the north, while we have a holiday in Austria. I say holiday, but Steve will be doing Ironman Austria for what I think is the tenth time. I will be training, as he works through a rest and relaxation period before the race. He needs that because he has been working really hard the last few weeks and although he is younger than me, he is not twenty one any more, so he needs to recover before his massive challenge of 3800 metres swim, 112 miles bike and a frickin’ marathon run. It’s a long time since I did an Iron distance event and I will just be back up crew for this one, which for some reason is also exhausting. Note to self: Don’t forget to put the inflatable lilo armchair in.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: