Sunday, June 12, 2016

Doing what we do.


 

After registration and racking our bikes for the Sunday morning that we would spend competing in Windsor Triathlon, we went out to lunch in a restaurant that is one of our favourite eating spots, Browns. We have been to get our pre Windsor race meal in Browns as long as we have been doing the event. It’s good for both of us because Steve can get a pasta dish and I can get my preferred meal of grilled fish with mashed potatoes. I got pasta’d out very early in our triathlon lives. I do occasionally have a pasta dish but not before a race and not often.

We rested most of the afternoon and evening and watched the final episode of Season 2 of Blood Line on Netflicks on my computer. Without giving anything away… I did not see THAT coming! Blow me down with a feather. What a great series it is and a fan-bloomin’-tastic cast. That boy playing Nolan (and Nolan when he was younger, and his father when he was young) is sure to be a BIG star. Look out for Owen Teague. 

After that we did go to bed early since my start time was 6.24 am with at least a ten minute walk to the start from transition. Steve set the alarm on his phone for 4.30 but it did not go off until 4.50! That is another mystery, or is it? I had a diabolical night, between about 12.15 am and 3.00 am I was up out of bed and into the bathroom every twenty minutes or so. I don’t need to explain that this meant that Steve also had a bad night. So there is the other possibility that the alarm did go off at the set time, but that we had slept right through it. 

 Whilst I was throwing up and giving myself a dilly of a headache to boot; it crossed my mind that maybe this was not a stomach upset but a return of the dreadful pre-race nerves I used to suffer with. The reason I say this is that a number of people have been talking to me as if they are concerned because I still do triathlon and the training necessary for it. The more folk have expressed these concerns, the more they have made think about it myself. I see the worry. I know that I have more aches and pains. I know how old I am! Yet, and yet, I still love doing it, its immense fun. It is quite hard and I am finding it more tiring than it was. Let it be known, that I have heard what you have said, but you have not heard me say that it makes me happy.  

I looked at Accuweather before we went to bed last night and it was not good news. To confirm the forecast it did rain. It rained more and more as the morning went on. I wore one of my Saucony lite short sleeve shirts with matching pair of light weight shorts, very comfortable. I don’t like Tri-suits.
 
When you finish racing you can get an instant print out of your times. Just put your number in and a little piece of paper winds out like an old fashioned bus ticket.

Steve was in a hurry to get this check of our times because when I saw him out on the run after I had finished (he started 81minutes after me). I yelled at him thinking he would be pleased that I have a 1.32.12 bike time. I felt quite sorry for him because he loves it when I do well, he is my coach after all but that time was nine seconds faster that his time. The additional fact he saw on the little piece of paper was that both of my transitions were faster too. He was not comforted by the other details that he had a better swim, run and total time. 

Please ignore theses results if you do not do our sport. If however you do, I know for certain that you will find them as interesting as we find checking on other people times. Triathletes love result sheets, it is a common failing with all my sport friends 

Name     Swim         T1              Bike               T2            Run                Total

Daf        33.07       10.12            1.32.12           4.11         1.18.20           3.38.02

Steve     25.49       10.19            1.32.21           5.13         1.09.06           3.22.48 

As final remarks about this race time of mine; I have over the years taken over four hours for this event a few times, so I am very pleased and Steve is too really, though as he said when I pointed out that he was fifteen minutes faster than me…. It’s not the 30 minute difference he would normally expect. I did win my age group and the most useful prize was an entry for another race.

 

No comments: