Sunday, June 26, 2016

Ironman Austria Race Day Part 1


 

 When I am support crew for Steve I always wear a visi orange coat and day orange glow hat so that each time I shout at him or he is looking for me, I am easy to spot.

The gradual start looked utterly horrendous with wet suited bodies in a zig-zag line that seemed endless. I presume it was supposed to be self seeded but looked to be just an utter shambles and although I did not see the last people through the swim start gantry it was certainly looking like there was no way they would all be able to get along to the start in the time stated. There was pushing and shoving and panicky swimmers asking what swim time this section or that was and then a few clamouring under barriers and some climbing over to advance themselves in a complete panic. 

As efficiently as the bike racking had gone yesterday, so the opposite was the state of the start this morning for the thousands for Ironman or would be Ironman athletes. I stayed with Steve at a point just by the barrier in a place where I should not have been for twenty minutes before an official asked me to step back. After that I quickly lost sight him in the frantic surge toward the water. It looked dangerous.
 
Because of this confusion and having no chance to get to the, I moved hastily on to try to get to the swim exit but again because of this new start the supporters were already three or four deep at that point to I went directly to a free place where I could see the bike out and turn start so I would catch Steve twice. It was a long wait but a good decision. He heard my ear shattering shout as he approached and waved then a minute or so  later biked past as if he was having great fun already and cheekily had a Jelly snake hanging out of his mouth making him look like a lizard. He was happy because he had a good swim in the end. Anthony who had found me by that time told me it was
1 hour 13. 14 quite close to his best hopes. We took the boat to get breakfast.

Coming by the hotel on the second lap he looked as happy as a pig in you know what, waving and smiling an on target at that point. A little while after that there was a thunder storm that lasted about an hour. 

Anthony, and I are going to catch the 3.15 boat back to that run route with our fingers crossed.

No comments: