Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Vanity


 As we drove back from the pool this morning we passed the usual crowds of teens walking to school. They looked so much smarter than we ever looked years ago and that is because they ALL wear school uniform, boys and girls all very neatly turned out. 

Actually the most noticeable difference from my old days at school is that the boys these days seem to take more care with their hair than the girls do. Steve and I were having a chuckle about one particular group of lads, they must have got up early to make themselves look like something out of a magazine. 

I burst out with “Vanity thy name is NOT woman” but then I remembered that that is one of the most famous misquotes, since it was “Frailty they name is woman” That Hamlet said of his mother. This had me searching through my head files for my other favourite misquotes. The all time bests must be that Jesus never said “I am the Lord of the dance” and Humphrey Bogart did not say “Play it again Sam”. 

Any way, I do think that young men are taking much more care over their appearance and are more vain than the girls these days…. At least in Littlehampton.

No comments: