Thursday, April 21, 2016

Showing off to a friend




Today was the first day this year that I have gone out for a run just wearing a tee-shirt, although I did still wear tights. I had invited my friend Christine over so that I could show her the wonderful Bluebells in the woods where we do most of our run training. Christine had told me that she would not like to run in the woods on her own. She is tapering for her first marathon in just over a week in Milton Keynes. That was lucky as far as I was concerned because I was not feeling full of the joys of spring exactly but she said she didn’t mind if I just wanted to make this session a simple jog/walk. She had brought Honey her Golden Retriever along for a run with us. 

She was completely wowed with the amazing sight of the magical purple carpet that appears to be floating through the woods as far as the eye can see in both directions and was equally knocked out with the perfume that fills the air. Knock out. 

Since it was her first visit to our neck of the woods, I was hoping that there would be some sort of wildlife sighting to add to the pleasure of the day. It was a nice warm day and Christine had agreed to be shown around the full loop of our normal Sunday run. The terrain is varied and although it starts with a broad-ish tarmac path, it then turns off into woodland paths. I was enjoying telling her all about what was at one time the Saxon Village of Lower Barpham, and as we that we looked down on the odd indentations of the once upon-a-time-long-ago village, we were joined by a huge Kite just a little way above our heads. I explained to my friend how they sometimes will fly circles, moving a little ahead of you as you walk/run along; my own theory seems quite logical that they hope you will disturb some tiny creature that they can catch for a quick snack. This makes sense to me and it has happened so often that it seems to confirm my theory. Kites appear to be fairly lazy and need all the help they can get. 

Later on our run we came out on to open hillside where there were three huge kites performing some sort of quite aggressive flying game together and we decided that maybe it was a mating dance and we stood and watched them for a while completely entranced with the acrobatics. After that we were in open land along side the gallops where the view was just breathtaking. I never get fed up with this lovely route. 

To complete my friends first visit into our favoured area, I took her to see the Gibbet Post where in the 18th century, local man Jack Upperton was hung up in a cage for the birds to peck at and as a warning to others not to rob the mail coach as is passed by that spot. He had been hung for his crime in Horsham and placed in a cage as a warning to other would be Highwaymen.
 
 
 

No comments: