Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Unscheduled Day Off


Many of us have our daily routine or our work schedules or if you try to be any sort of athlete there should be some sort of training programme. Some of my friends sign up for online training schedules from well known coaches. It’s a personal thing, there are plenty of club coaches only too willing to help and advise for nothing more than a thank you. I have been lucky enough to be married to my coach; this has the obvious advantage, that my coach knows we very well, he is also my bike and run training partner. He knows when things are working well and he knows when I am tired. To a lesser extent the club coach sees their athlete and gets to know their ups and downs.

Working to the plan of somebody you admire, that has set up a good quality website has its plus’s but in my view the downside is that they do not know you; they don’t know what your life commitments are either. Time and time again I have known athletes who, because of a bad card that life has through at them, have had to miss sessions out and they make what I think is the mistake of trying to fit it in on another day. If that happens often for reason that you cannot control, you are working to a different schedule, a less scientific schedule and one that may do more harm than good.   

As with my eating habits, I get strange looks about my training too. I train pretty much every day, mostly done early mornings because that suits us both best. I don’t take a full day off unless life makes it clear that it is time for one. This last couple weeks I have felt pretty tired but have carried on with my order of things until yesterday after swimming I sprouted an aching deltoid. It got worse during the course of the day. I have rubbed on the clear gel from the tube of stuff I know will not bring my sensitive skin out in a rash, I sat in the hot tub a couple of times and sat a hot water bottle on it when I watched TV.  

This morning it felt painful first thing but eased off a bit later. In spite of being regularly referred to as crazy, too often, I have to say, I am in fact quite sensible about care of injuries. Today, both of us have taken a day off both training and work. Steve has been moaning about his back for several days during a hard weeks work and so decided we would both take today easy. I still got up early. Earlier in fact; 4.50am. I made myself a coffee and quietly went up into my sewing-reading-writing-hair and makeup-station and read seventy pages of my books.  

When Steve surfaced, we watched the news with a cup of tea in hand and then later we went out for breakfast in Arundel. We went to an Italian place in the High Street called Osteria (we call it Posteria) Nice coffee. Steve had a sausage and bacon roll and I ate French toast with blueberries and strawberries. It is Saturday so we are allowed breakfast if we so wish. 

With all the extra time, we sat and read papers and then since it is Grand National day we made a (first time in at least ten years) detour into the betting shop and placed huge bets (£1 each way) on our choices so that we would have a horse to shout for on the TV later. 
 
When we got home I cut Steve’s hair, beard, moustache and eyebrows.

No comments: