Friday, April 1, 2016

Memories

Last night I had a dream of the old days when I was a child, in the kitchen with my mum and dad long before TV after we had our tea (It was not called dinner) we would listen to the radio. We all loved to  listen to the music. In my dream I saw them so clearly again. It was lovely and warm sitting near the old Kitchener at the table doing a puzzle or playing a game with my brother. Mum was always knitting and moaning because we had grown, she made all our woolly jumpers.

Music 

Music has always been a joy to me
I listened whilst I ate my chips
My dad whistling through his teeth
And never through his rounded lips 

My mother sang and music played
The radio each day blared away
A wide range of programmes
To any music I would sway 

My Dad had played the cornet
Or mill works brass horn
Taught by his famous uncle
Long before I was born

 

He joined the Salvation Army band

At the bandstand there was no doubt

We’d listen happily as they played

Smiling to ourselves both inside and out

No comments: