Saturday, April 23, 2016

My Marathon Running Friends


This is my way of saying good luck to all my friends who have a marathon coming up very soon. You have done so well to get to this point, so try now to relax and enjoy the little time left before your big day. 

This poem was written today, it is number 590 in my collection; I started writing just over three years ago, when I had a fall and broke three bones. The poem a day discipline got me through what was a very difficult time for a world class fidget like me. The production rate has slowed a little but the blog has got longer. ( Who said more's the pity?) 

Have a great day Sharon, in London marathon tomorrow and Christine in Milton Keynes next weekend. Hope the sun shines on everybody running their hearts out in their big races. Well done even before you start. I’m so proud of you all, my marathon running friends. 

Marathon Runner 

They start running for fitness and then for fun
Meeting up with friends to run a mile or three
The cold winter days on into the summer sun
Forgetting all life’s problems and feeling free 

A run’s more fun when there more than one
When all you can carry is the front door key
Starting to wonder how far you can run
Confidence builds up on the fitness spree
 
For the first time you hear the starter’s gun
Sprints from the next lamp post to that tree
Satisfaction at finishing a race well done
Feeling happy and healthy as you can be 

The trap is set, the silken web is spun
They talk you round and you agree
Sign up with pals and a marathon’s begun
The finish gantry glad at last you see 

The change in you is total, second to none
The sense of achievement the joy and glee
On your neck a medal your spirit has won
Your finest hour yet then home for tea
 
 

No comments: