Monday, April 25, 2016

Eye in the Sky: My Review


Yesterday we went to the Windmill Theatre at the end of the promenade where the river Arun meets the sea in Littlehampton. We saw, Eye in the Sky. Two ‘wrinklies’ tickets cost £11 plus rip-off parking price. 

The film is so tense I thought I would have a seizure. Edge of the seat or what!
Add to that, that it made my hair stand on end, when Alan Rickman appeared in it, I hadn’t been aware that he was one of the stars of the film, I guess that must have been his last movie. It had a dedication to his memory in the credits. 

Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) was amazing, since the only acting weapon he had, was his face for 95% of the film in his action position as the distant Drone Pilot. Barkhad Abdi, is the American Somali man who played the pirate hijacker in Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks. He was as good again in this much smaller part.
 
I hated the most excellent Helen Mirren in it, as the Colonel, again distantly, directing operations that were way too close to the moral line. With the main group of superb actors; everybody is in distant control that makes it terrifyingly un-nerving. They are watching on multi eyed screens, a terrorist cell In Nairobi, via fascinatingly small drones. It is so tense, so interesting, so touchy edgy and horrifying. This was surely one of the best movies this year for me. The whole cast were brilliant, job very well done by director Gavin Hood.  I do see though that it would not be everybody’s cup of meat. No car chases or animated animals or pretty princesses.
 

Steve and I were experimenting with eating marshmallows for a change…. mmmm…. well…..errrr…. not sure. Maybe I’ll go back to Revels, although I hate the little toffee one’s. We are going to see Trumbo with Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) on Tuesday at 2pm.  I can't do 8pm movies unless there is absolutely no option.

No comments: