Thursday, July 23, 2020

Voices


 
                                                                                        
Every time Steve has to leave the house for work; which thank God in his heaven, has been one step more than total zilch in the last few weeks, he hesitates for a second at the door and says, “Keep your phone in your pocket”. In response to that, I have been muttering sullenly “Nobody calls me”. In fairness though it is not quite true, and is not quite ‘nobody’. It is a very low number of friends and family, I get more calls from the Ocado driver… ‘Ralph in the lemon van’, saying, “I’m running a bit ahead but I’m only a few minutes away if its ok with you to deliver your order”.

Most friends and family send a Text message or What’s App or Messenger. Now I may well be Mrs Grumpy of Littlehampton but I would much prefer to hear the voice of somebody I love. Even an email is better than the three witches of modern communications mentioned above. At least an email generally has some news or and update or a catch up.

Of course, that may also be a one-way street because I have tried to get to grips with this short and often blunt, approaching rude method but frankly “OK” doesn’t cut it for me.

Taking all things into consideration I think that I have done rather well for a woman as long in the tooth as I find myself to be. I have taken to and well used Facebook, and have friends all over the world that I can keep in touch with, I can follow what they are doing in their lives, quite nicely and the photos too are a help. I sometimes feel like a stalker though, just looking at peoples posts there. That is just me being a grump again I suppose.

For my own purposes I enjoy Instagram most. This because I can aim my photos or words at other like groups, either sport friends in the triathlon world or other folk who like poetry, either writing it or just reading for sanity or pleasure. That little hashtag really seems to work. The other good thing is that again friends world wide will see what I am up to as well as that I can follow them and see their posts on my feed.

All good, all keeping in touch. Cutting to that chase though, I do like to hear a friendly voice especially the ones I love and care for.
Daf: 07990 803274
dafbelt@outlook.com

This very happy photo below was taken many years ago by, I think I am right in saying the very talented Adrian Weinbrecht. What a nice chat too.
Hope that's right.... Sorry of it is not.


No comments: