Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Obedience

Steve and I celebrating my 75th birthday six years ago on Littlehampton prom
We were just starting out on our run today at a little after 5 am this morning, striding the first couple of hundred yards at brisk walk pace, to warm up before starting our 10km run, when we were spotted by a largish dog, with two female early dog-walkers a way behind.

The dog’s ears pricked up with interest as we crunched our way along the gravel trail. Seconds later it bounded toward us at top speed quickly joined by a second dog that must have been otherwise engaged a few seconds earlier. The pair raced on toward us while one of the women shouted their names to no avail. 

As soon as they reached us, they started jumping up and running round and round us taking no noticed what so ever of their owner. I decided that they were poorly trained and tried adding my own “NO” with quite commanding voice complete with strong ‘Stop’ hand signals.

The dogs were not barking or threatening but they were playing in a most boisterous uncontrolled way and a couple of times my hand was ‘mouthed’ by the dogs. I was using my best firm voice which has always been perfectly effective with all other family dogs, including my daughters young dog Jeffrey.  Steve was wearing lycra run shorts and he was shouting at them and I knew that he was worried that they would hurt my very sensitive skin, that could easily happen even though I wear tights winter and summer to prevent scratched from plants as we run.

That uncontrolled exuberance continued until both women arrived and grabbed their dogs and attached leads to collars whilst shouting a jumble of grumbles at their charges. We had had to stop walking whilst the animals bounded round and around us, totally out of control. I do add that they were not being aggressive, they were playing, but they were quite big dogs that looked like retrievers, yet rather strong, chunky heavy boys. When the women finally had hold of them, I said “I think a spell at obedience class is called for”, and give the women their due they were not rude in return. The fact that they too, were out so very early was perhaps because they have no control over their pets and going early is the only way they can give them a good run. Dogs, should be trained or don’t keep them as pets.

We had a good 10km run, beautiful clear views all round, cold though.

No comments: