Sunday, January 1, 2017

David Walliams: The Midnight Gang and other good reads.






 Freezing fog everywhere; beautiful

Our Christmas holiday have come to end and this morning we were busy packing up and moving our of our cosy holiday nest. The very nice owners came to see us off and then we were on our way to the first stop on the long journey home. St Moritz kept to its promise of mostly sunshine and we only had one dull day out of the nine spent in the Upper Engadine.

The drive over the Julier pass was also in beautiful weather all the way to just outside of Chur at the other side of the pass. There we lost the wall to wall blue skies and descended into freezing fog that had cloaked all the trees with a magical white frosting and that was also a special treat for the eyes.

On our way to the Mövenpick Hotel in Egerkingen, we listened to our latest audio book. It’s a good few years old but we have not read or listened to any of the Val MacDermid series of books, The Wire in the Blood. I had read the first of the series and told Steve all about it so we opted for this one that is the second in the series but is a stand alone story to keep us occupied on the return journey.

Whilst we were in the last week of our holiday Steve has been reading a book that was sent as a gift by a friend in Naples, Florida. The title of the book is Find a Way by Diane Nyad and has kept Steve nice and quiet and I will read it when Steve has finished it. Then I suspect it will be loaned out to some of our swim friends. It is all about her lifestyle and famous swims and swimming stories.


I have been reading a book for children by David Walliams called The Midnight Gang that I have adored reading and laughing at the delightful scribbly drawings by Tony Ross that help bring the story to life. I would say it was more suitable for junior school children but then I really loved it too. This David Walliams book will become a classic I am sure, it has a sound story that holds the interest well and has all the ingredients to engage our youngsters imaginations, it is funny, sad and a little cruel and makes a point or two, it is also quite outrageous. Well done David W. Good job. 


I try to read all the major books for children that come alone and read all of the Harry Potter series. Before those I read Roald Dahl children’s books James and the Giant Peach, BFG , Witches etc that were all excellent. I think we should all read the latest books for kids to make sure we know who is filling the kids heads with what and I think it helps us never to forget how to talk with children. As for me, I am just a big kid anyway.

The other book I am nibbling at is a Nietzsche paperback that I picked up after the haus tour and talk morning in Sils Maria last week, I am just nibbling the edges, licking my lips and flitting pages until I am in a more serious reading mode at home but a feel a soft spot for the man and am finding it strongly and strangely appealing and readable.
Then I have been trying to get into the top selling Nora Roberts, Stars of Fortune part of The Guardians Trilogy, at the moment I feel it is a bit chick-lit for my taste but I am hoping it will get more solid soon, I’m only on 13% with my Kindle so will keep on track.  She is usually a great writer and I loved House Rules, and Leaving Time early last year: 2016 is already last year, goodness, weird isn’t it?


The second travel day was through relentless freezing fog when the whole of Switzerland, Germany and France was cloaked in the fairy tale white that was breathtaking to see floating past the car window all the way to Reims where it is still that cold. Isn’t that just totally unreal; and after the few quite warm days over Christmas itself.

As another more worrying note we did not see any sign of a crackdown in border security. We did not see a single guard on duty at either the Switzerland to Germany crossing or the Germany to France border. Both just had cones narrowing the road for a while but no barriers. Nobody was watching, let alone looking at passports.



No comments: