Friday, January 27, 2017

Starting Something New




A couple of weeks ago I had a phone call from a young woman who told me that she was student on a film course in Brighton and wondered if I would be able to help out as part of a project on the course she was taking. I gathered that it was basically about older people keeping up with sport for health fitness or whatever. I told her that it sounded like fun and that if her fellow students wanted to after she spoke to them about her idea, that I was more than happy to give some of my time to it. I know from my own experience in life that if you want help with something it is always best to ask a busy person.


That call grew into a flutter of emails and then a request to have a person to person chat. Amazingly she also send a copy of a letter to say that she was doing the course that she had told me about, very professional and understanding.


Yesterday there were texts; about trains and times and directions and finally in the late morning Kathy Azopardi arrived on my doorstep, having already dismantled and neatly folded her Brompton Bike so that it could be brought into the house rather than left at risk outside.


Having made a cuppa, we sat down across the table in the window and she told me more about what their plan involved and then asked questions about my training and my lifestyle. Bless the woman for her dedication, since I understand that the finished work will only be a matter of minutes after several sessions that would be on the horizon to gather what they wanted.


Over the years I have been involved in other missions of this kind but have to say that I felt that we got on like a house well on fire and the interview and all my information and offerings were the greatest fun to share. She wanted to see our turbo room! Now I can tell you that that is not everybody’s idea of heaven. Three racing bikes set up on turbo trainers in the box room of a terraced house. Towels covering the floor over the carpet for obvious reasons, a TV bracketed on to the wall in the corner and all the walls covered in triathlon photos.


She asked about other coverage in magazines etc. She had already found bits on the internet; I dug out piles of old magazines that I had been threatening to light the fire with since recently, I had begun to wonder what I was keeping them for on one of the last occasions that I had a sort out of our sporting mess, accumulated over 26-27 years in the triathlon. So just for the moment I was pleased that I had not taken them to the fireplace.

Sometimes interviews can be hard when the person has no knowledge to base their questions on but that was certainly not the case with Kathy, she had done her homework. We never stopped talking and it was an easy comfortable conversation.

Toward the end of what must have been more than two hours she confessed that she was thinking about trying a triathlon herself, maybe as a special step to mark her fortieth birthday. I asked her when that would be and she said (I think) this coming December. I had to laugh as I told her that according to British Triathlon Age Group guidelines that your age is whatever you are on December 31st and so she is already forty in my sporting eyes and I think there was a slight widening of her eyes!


This is a woman who rode her bike to meet me and of course all my fellow triathletes will know that being fairly strong cyclist is an excellent place to start from. I don’t think that running is unknown to her either or swimming. 


Talk about, ‘Said the Spider to Fly’. Nothing pleases me more than finding somebody that could possibly get to love my sport as much as I do. She already looks like an athlete for goodness sake and I know from this couple of hours that she is very much her own person and Is not short of determination.

We will be working together now and then over the next month or so. Maybe it will be the start of a firm sporting friendship. I hope so.

No comments: