Monday, January 16, 2017

Gremlins strike again




The Monday morning swim set did not have any Gremlins actually taking part but did turn up as time passed by this morning. The swim sets can be found at the foot of this load of blurb and should anybody wish to copy one of these sets, please do, they have burst from the mind of my husband Steve, who simply loves coaching but expects the same level of application from those he is coaching; even if they only turn up now and then. The main body of swimmers are regulars, though some are not seen at every session.

Both sets today were longs sets of 100’s and before we went into the pool Steve told me that he intended to swim 1500mtrs once the main set was finished and that I would be joining him for that.


I got through my set today that for a change had generous swim rests. The schedule I followed today was aimed at my friend Bekka but she seldom comes on Monday; that might have something to do with Saturday and Sunday as conducted in a normal world. I was testing the set to see how it went in readiness for us to do together on Wednesday.

Mine was a 1500 metre set and I finished it before the guys got to the end of their harder and longer set. At that point I took off my goggles and swam 200 back stroke before stopping to pass the time of day with our old friend Jørgen Christianson who was one of the original four when we started Tuff Fitty Tri club 26(?) years ago. He is recovering from major surgery and doing his own fight back schedule that Steve has given him. The chat was about the Concert we went to on Saturday night and from his side it was about Glynebourne Opera House, Jørgen's wife Deirdre is a retired choir Mistress and Organist. I gossiped to him until he dismissed me by saying that he was getting cold and so must continue with his swim!


By that time anyway Steve’s main set was finished and he was giving my the old Death Ray look from the other end of the pool so I slipped under the lane ropes to join him for his 1500 mtr straight swim. It is useful to get the odd longer swim in at this time since we have both entered the Swimathon 5000 mtr swim later on in April.

When I got into the changing room and met Deirdre and told her that I had chatted with Jørgen, she asked if he had confessed to me the silly thing he had done this morning which was to close the front door having left the keys in the lock on the inside and about which Deirdre was concerned.

Neither of them had a phone and so Steve tried ringing a locksmith for them. I told D that if they had not got in by nightfall that we did have a bed settee if the worst came to the worst. She emailed me later to let me know that they had got into their securely locked home, she had told me earlier was like Fort Knox….. It obviously was not Fort Knox because they got in with a bit of simple jiggling of Deirdre’s lone front door key.


That was not the only annoying thing to happen this Monday morning because our electric garage door conked out as well. It had thrown a wobbly and would go up to open but would not come down to close again. Steve had had to wind it down manually and then we had to use the front door to leave the house which is something that we hardly ever do. So we have been googling away fit to bust on my computer to find a company that will come out to fix it.


I had to stay in this morning since we were expecting a parcel delivery as well as a mainstay’s delivery from Ocado who miraculously manage always to deliver at the exact time they say they will; if only that applied to the rest of the world. I had booked Ocado for 12- 1pm and at 12.04 the door bell rang and the guy had already got everything to my front door.

I waited in to see if the garage door repair company were as reliable as Ocado and as it transpired indeed they were since the guy arrived exactly when he said he would. Steve met him at the garage door and opened if for the man to come in and take a look. He then pressed the inside closing button that worked first time. Steve and he looked at each other and then it was tried several more times. I hate intermittent faults. I know that the next time it plays up will be when Steve is not here and the repair company will be on strike or something. Anyway all is in order for the time being and we are just light the call out fee!

Steve has now also replaced the rear light on Marcus (our little car) There were far to many Gremlins at work for one day. Its funny how these little devils take control sometimes and when I tried to add the smaller schedule under the Lane 1 Schedule below it would not go on in the right place. I had a similar problem once with a photo of a gnome that would only be transferred sideways, I’m sure I am not the only person who has experienced the photo that will not be posted in the right direction. Gnomes I can believe will be deliberately naughty but not a swim schedule. So I will just explain that it was 15 x 100 at 2.40 going when the clock read 60-40-20 rolling. Novices might have trouble with that but not regular swimmers or teachers.


Lane 1


Dist.
Clock
Swim Rest
100
60
1.55
100
55
1.55
100
50
1.55
100
45
1.55
100
40
1.55
100
35
1.55
100
30
1.55
100
25
1.55
100
20
1.55
100
15
1.55
100
10
1.55
100
05
1.55
100
60
1.55
100
55
1.55
100
50
1.55
100
45
1.55
100
40
1.55
100
35
1.55
100
30
1.55
100
25
1.55
100
20
1.55



2100




No comments: