Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Dower House


Fascination of the Dower House almost brings tears
I’ve warmed it in my heart over so many years
Running past it, up the hill then down I glide
Longing to see it closer or better yet, go inside
Find out who lived there, their doubts and fears. 

When I count the windows below the widows walk
I hear old occupants gowns rustle as they talk
Right atop the house is a funny little place;
Like a ticket office with a formal door to face,
Is there a ghost waiting for new occupants to stalk? 

What then of where the outer buildings stand
Smaller versions of the same just as grand,
Did trusted ‘go betweens’ carry notes for lovers
Pleading a midnight tryst beneath the covers?
Page boys running thru’ the rain o’er the duke’s land. 

The four post porch looks so formal and so proper
The central window bay above a canopy of copper,
This façade facing London Road uphill to the north
Where who knows who once left to sally forth
Does the south side show a royal gardener’s eye popper? 

My imagination runs on past sensibility and beyond
So prone to a little romantic story stretch I am fond
Was the Arundel Castle Dower House always there?
The present house is surely of a Georgian era fair
How do I find out the truth, with whom do I correspond?

 

No comments: