Monday, December 5, 2016

Swim Technique Check Session


 

 

When I woke this morning and walked into the kitchen, my coach asked if my legs were ok after my first run yesterday. I told him that they were fine, no aches at all but if I had to search for a sign, I can only say that there was the tiniest slightest sign that I ran yesterday, right in the very top centre of my quads at the knicker line. Not any pain and not stiffness. 
My husband then asked where his tea was.
Then my coach asked if I was swimming this morning.
I announced that I was going to the pool with him for the 6.30am opening at the pool and that I would get in and see how I felt, no promises.
 
 

There was a lane completely empty next to the animals’ lane and I slipped in there. I felt ok after a couple of straight lengths listening to my body and since it was not complaining, I decided to carry on and check myself out after ailing for a couple of weeks. What I did was on the way up from the shallow end  towards the deep end, I thought about one part of my stroke in turn and on the way back swimming over the blue line which is two oblong tiles wide, and made sure that my hands travelled along the outer edge of the blue tiles from the front of the stroke all the way to the back smoothly without any sign of a central V (that so many people never bother to try to remove) when passing through from pull to push and all the way back in one smooth movement.
 
 
First up length: Think…close fingers…but not too tightly since that wastes energy
Two:  Try to close the thumb to the hand without stiffening.
Three: Touch leg at mid thigh to make sure that the hand goes all the way back and has not gone too wide by the end of the stroke.
Four: Make sure you have a nice long axis rotation, both sides, making sure that the whole body is rolling nicely and not just the shoulders.
Five: Nice high elbow on recovery
Six:  Watch your catch and make sure it is not sliding out sideways; all the movement should be from the front to the back, no slipping and sliding.
Seven: Make sure your head is flat in the water and not lifting to breathe because if you lift your head you will drop your legs.
Eight: Look at the water line as you breathe and make sure only one eye comes above the waterline.
Nine: Make absolutely sure that your hand does not go anywhere near the centre line, not at entry, not in the middle of the stroke.
Ten: Keep a pace that will allow you to complete a long swim without tiring.
 
I very often run this check when I do a straight swim.
This morning, once I knew that my breathing was ok, I settled in for 1900 mtrs. I count in two lengths; 50-100-150-200 usw. All the way through to the end of the swim, rather than any other counting habit that people might use.
I check on the clock that is on the wall on my left side going up to the deep end. This way I can check my pace is steady and that I have not miscounted.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I was pleased that I appeared not to have lost anything on my swim during my time out with the cough. I did not cough whilst swimming.
Having done my 1900 mtrs, I did 50 mtrs Back stroke as a swim down.
I always end with Backstroke, usually much more than this, and count my leg kicks 1-2-3- one arm stroke 4-5-6 with the other all the way up and down.
My final check.
 
 

Swimming is not boring if you concentrate.

It is swim training after all.

Not a social occasion.

 



When I got out of the pool and walked past Steve, he asked me how I went (although I had seen him watch me under the water a couple of times as he swam by) I told him what I had done and he said “Well done, you’re back”. Glad to be back too.
 
 
 
Photos are all of Rebecca Adlington and Michael Phelps
 

No comments: