Saturday, December 3, 2016

Out-Out


Felicity Kendal as cousin Charlotte in A Room with a View at the CFT 

Yesterday was one of those non-stop things where it starts in a well planned mannered way and gradually unwinds into a bit of a farce. We were going out in the evening and because of that I needed to get all work tucked away as soon as possible. I worked to a list or I would never have got through everything. On a day when I am at home combining work and preparations for an outing there is no room for wandering. An addition to the list was the ‘what if it all goes wrong’ plan. I did all the important jobs on the computer first then I went to make sure that since this was my first proper evening out in two weeks I wanted to try to make myself look less like death warmed up, as I had been whilst being under the weather. I carefully selected the clothes I would wear so that I would look neat enough to go ‘Out-Out’ and not just ‘Out’ as we say, but also to still be warm enough after being coddled with a cosy fire in the grate every day. Then I had a bath and left the Miraculous Recovery conditioner in my hair leaving it on as I did some pfaffing around to tidy up. An hour with the conditioner on, before rinsing off, left my hair feeling softer than the cattle feed straw effect of late. Then I put big rollers in my hair and a Rosie the Riveter head scarf to keep them in place. 

I hoped that nobody would knock at the door until later but even thinking that telekinetically drew delivery drivers to my door. I had not been expecting anybody but it seems that my pretty neighbour Hannah had ordered her Christmas shopping on line. I had three big parcels for her before I could say ‘Knife’. I had hoped to give them to her the next day but notes had been put in her door to say where the parcels were, so then I had to frighten her to death opening the door in rollers and without a dot of makeup…. Horrendous! Hannah is only in her twenties and she gave me a funny look when I picked up the biggest box (a metre by half x half) and said to my young neighbour “Do you think you will be able to manage this, it’s a bit heavy?” I just forget myself sometimes.
 
 

Anyway it all turned out well enough and I was ready to go when our friend Anthony, who was press ganged again to pick us up arrived outside our home. We went to a different restaurant for our pre theatre meal. Steve had chosen Pallant House this time, since we had be told that it was very good. It was indeed very nice and not over priced for the quality and presentation. We all ordered different dishes and each one was excellent. We were on the dessert course and I was eating the Forest Fruit, Frangipane Crumble and still trying to join in the chatter when I inhaled a crumb! 

It was without doubt the worst coughing fit I have ever had in my entire life. I grabbed Steve’s glass of water and rushed for the toilet area. It was so awful and as I was coughing, it came to my mind that we knew several young people who died during an Asthma attack, or breathing incidence. I coughed endlessly but the crumb of crumble would not move. Another woman I the toilet was looking at me in horror as I moved from the glass of water at the sink into the toilet and back out and in again.  

Finally Steve knocked the door and called my name and not getting an answer burst in planning to perform a Heimlich manoeuvre on me but since I was actually speaking to him as he thumped my back and eventually I calmed down he cancelled the Heimlich option. I had been telling myself, in an effort to stop panicking, that this was not an asthma attack and I had just swallowed a crumb but scary things do happen. It was embarrassing enough to make such a scene and I am sure that the cough that I have had for so long didn’t help. What made me feel better when I finally returned to our table was that Anthony asked if he could finish my barely started dessert. It was a relief that I had not spoilt his appetite.
 
 Jeff Rawle as Mr Emerson advises young Lucy Honeychurch 

Then it was into the theatre for A Room with a View by E.M Forster. It was such a delightful film when it first came out and Steve and I have seen it umpteen times on DVD at home. This time it was very well done and pretty much the same as a play and everybody was excellent, although I did really think that Jeff Rawle was wonderful as George Emerson’s father. Felicity Kendal was the big name draw but you could not say that one person was better that the rest. Steve and I had spoken about the Edwardian bathing scene that was so funny in the film and had not expected the nudity in the theatre but blow me down if they did not go for that scene with the same sense of fun and embarrassment. The scene would have raised eyebrows to heaven in Edwardian days for sure with the three men all running around totally starkers when caught bathing nude in the pond at the bottom of the garden. The vicar with his dog collar still on took the biscuit and George’s use of the Reverend Beeps hat was equally priceless, and not even a dimming of the lights and just a reminder here, that the stage at the Chichester Festival Theatre is as near as it gets to ‘In the Round’, three quarters round anyway and no escape.
 


A packed theatre as always. Love it. Excellent production.


 

No comments: