Friday, December 23, 2016

Nietzsches Haus: A talk by Prof. Dr. Peter A. Bloch.




This morning Steve left me at the Schweizerhaus Hotel in Maloja to go skiing for the morning. I had other plans but only since breakfast, where on every table was the hotel news sheet that gave several choices of ‘What To Do In Maloja’. The first part gave information about opening hours for Ski lifts, Langlauf course, the Eisplatz etc. There was a suggestion of a nice winter walk to take. The other item was the one that caught my eye. This would be a talk and guided tour to Das Nietzsches-Haus conducted by Prof. Dr. Peter A. Bloch. My eyes opened with a pop! Steve and I had been there on a previous holiday when I had enjoyed the visit far more than my husband although he found it interesting it was difficult because most of the items displayed items were of course in German. I on the other hand, had been completely smitten by the ambience and spirit of the house and felt a strong feeling for the man himself. It would have been nice to have stayed longer were it not for fear of my poor man getting bored out of his wits; and he snores a bit when he drops off!


Before we arrived this year I had told Steve that I wanted to revisit that museum that was so very much alive. Before Steve left me he told me that since this talk was from 11-1pm he would ski until that time, then he would park the car where he parked it last time, walk through the village and meet me at 1.30pm in the café we went in before. Now you know why I say he was a cat in another life; he can always return to the same place that something memorable happened before; only of obviously it was not a mouse in his case.



I caught the 9.12am bus from the Post in Maloja which, because this is Switzerland and not British Rail departed at 9.12am exactly. This meant I got to Sils Maria by 9.30am. Way too early but then I hate to be late. This gave me time for a quick recap of where everything was and I returned to the café of the later meeting appointment and sat scribbling in my notebook, sipping a hot chocolate for a while. I still left too early and on arrival the front door of Nietzsches Haus stood open and I stepped in. I met Prof. Dr. Bloch two steps inside and he was far too polite to tell me to go away and come back in thirty minutes. He showed me in to the information room and invited me to look around and read some of the many leaflets, books and booklets, mostly in German. He carried on making his preparation without showing any irritation toward the interloper.

There was only one other person, a woman, also on holiday but from Luzern. Prof. Bloch explained to the other woman that he would give the talk mainly in German but with some English for my benefit. She responded that she was fluent in English and so to please give the talk in English and agreed that she would help out if there was an occasional word block. I did not think he would have any problems since he English was immaculate.

In my time I have listened to some talks on various subjects but have never listened to somebody with such warmth and enthusiasm for his subject. He told this life story with such pleasure as well as knowledge and built the picture with such skill. I just hope that I can retain even a fraction of all the information that flowed there today. So full a story and delivered with love as if to children, yet without a trace of stuffiness. The morning flew by and was for sheer pleasure and satisfaction at having made that spur of the moment commitment. So much more was learned on this visit and I am so glad I went along and met the most charming Prof. Dr. Bloch.

The other eager pair of ears at this shared private lesson told me that she was an Ombudsfrau and lawyer at an insurance company. 



No comments: