Wednesday, December 7, 2016

So much to do so little time; Swim, Bike, Run, Repeat


 

 

Today’s schedule of events never had much chance of working right from the start. Well ok, we got to the 6.30 am swim on time and I even managed to pass a few Christmas cards around. That session does not have the time built in it to gossip, it’s a time chosen by people with too much to get through in a day for niceties. I had a card for my friend Anthony, but he is always first in the queue, first in the water and at the session end, first in the changing rooms and I swear he cannot dry himself more than a wave of the towel because he escapes the centre at the speed of light and is gone. Didn’t get to give him his card.  

The session itself leaves hardy time to breathe. 

In the Animals lane today:

5x 200
1x100
4 x 50
1x100
5 x 200 

If any of them duck out for two lengths, they will get in the way of Bekka and I because they slide under the lane rope and into our already small space of a shoulder width of the pool. I swim on her feet, so if she turns sharply and there is somebody in the way as I reach the end, there will be contact, since that means there are three people in one shoulder width of water space. This morning at the end in the session, I had to say sorry to one of the guys for running my fingers across his backside whilst he ducked out to catch his breath. The same guy must have thought there was a plot of some kind because on a tight turn in their lane later, one of the blokes hands slid down the back of his jammer trunks and brought him to a surprise stop as he pushed off after the turn. He told me that at the end of the session when I excused myself for my offence. He said “Don’t worry Daphne, if only that was the worse that happened this morning”! 

Bekka and I had an 1800 mtr schedule.

2 x 200
4 x 100
4 x 50
4 x 100
2 x 200

Plus for me, my back stroke swim down, as usual.

I haven’t bothered with writing in the times for these schedules because they of course have to be changed to suit the standard of swimmers. Feel free to give them a go though, they are not state secrets and if they would help, then you are welcome. 

My check list for faults from Monday is a good thing since nobody if perfect. I noticed that even on one of the photos of that the great God of the Olympic pool Michael Phelps. Its easy when you get tired to forget little points and on a long swim in open water, if you feel you are slowing or getting tired you can still run through the points and it will make you feel better and bring your concentration.


There was no time for a coffee shop stop today, as Steve and I had extra time consuming problems to overcome. There was a nasty accident at Hammerpot on the A27 yesterday that had closed a good stretch of the road from Arundel Road, Angmering, all the way to Cross Bush, the traffic lights before turning to Arundel. A truck had ploughed into a small garage on the junction opposite The Woodman’s Arms Pub. The place had (and I mean Had) a showroom on one side and that was completely demolished and this morning looks like a bomb was dropped on it. A couple of cars in the showroom don’t look well; in fact they look much like a piece of paper that had been screwed up and thrown away. Thankfully, and indeed amazingly, nobody was badly hurt. The driver has minor injuries it seems. The garage damage is terminal.

This accident caused major holdups yesterday afternoon and affected The Vinery, which is the estate where our business warehouse is. Yesterday it meant that Steve could not get back to the warehouse from Arundel where he had been loading, and had to park in the nearby village and walk back. The traffic hold up continued and when he tried to get to the warehouse later it was still blocked and he was forced into a 25 mile detour. It was that, that delayed our run this morning because he had to go and get our van from Poling village and take it back to The Vinery before we could run. 

That in turn shortened our planned 5km run to 4km because Steve had a massage booked.  He had to leave me in Arundel to go for that. I am happy any time I am deposited in a café or coffee house provided I have a notebook, a pen and my glasses. The rest of the day is still tight, with him going to his accountant near Chichester and then he has an appointment with the bank manager in Worthing. I will tag along on the Worthing jaunt because I want to go to The Bike Store with a box of sweets and a Christmas card to thank them for looking after me so well during the year. They are so helpful and I hope to will have time to exchange a few words while I am there.
 
 
 

No comments: