Sunday, December 25, 2016

Gremlins v True Evil



 Steinbock sculpture at the top of the Piz Nair cable car

The poem, Moaning Lake, that I posted yesterday, is one I wrote during my stay in St Moritz last year when upon our arrival last Christmas we were a bit disappointed that there was almost no snow. Steve still loves to ski but all there was last year were some artificial snow ski runs. There also seemed to be more people than usual walking around with assorted part of the bodies in plaster because if you can’t make the turn before going off the edge of a man made ski run, you can end up on the grass or rock. Steve opted for more swimming and big afternoon walking sessions with me instead and we had a wonderful time and the slightly irritating thing was that snow arrived on the morning we left. Murphy’s Law strikes again.


St. Moritz boasts of 300 days a year of sunshine since it is often above the clouds at 6000 feet. This year the snow is good on the higher slopes, and the lake is already frozen hard and has been laid out with skating and walking lanes. Last year when we got here it was not frozen at all and still had the wonderful upside down mountains and forest reflected on the clear surface of the St. Moritzersee.

Yesterday when I came to the point of posting my poem about the lake, Gremlins struck, as they do now and then in computer work. It was number 520 in my poetry file and I copied and pasted it into my blog Dafs Diary and centred it. Then I imported a few photo’s to compliment the page and hit ‘Publish’. On the draft is looked perfectly ok but when I hit ‘View page’, Gremlins had attacked just one verse.  Everything else was as it was intended but the third verse was mutilated. So I went back to draft and tried to correct it. Two lines would not be central and one line, the first, did not what anything to do with the rest of that verse. I tried a dozen times to sort it out but I am a scribbler and not a computer genius. We have got guy who is such a blessing to us both in our business and home computing; if we have a glitch we call or text Jason and he remotely breaks into our computer and puts naughty things right, its weird watching the curser move around on its own. Yesterday was Christmas Eve and I was not going to disturb him due to my pathetic abilities.

 
Steve was sitting at the window with the binoculars searching for a Steinbock on the higher reaches of the mountain. (I have mentioned before that I think he was a cat in another life and this time he was searching for an animal that in thirty five years we have only seen once). He heard me swearing and cursing at the computer and said “Why don’t you just take that verse out because only you will notice”. WHAT!

I may well be the only person who knows there is a story there in that poem and this is a vital part where the surface ice creeps inch by inch, foot by foot, out from the shoreline to reach the ice creeping out from the far shoreline. It is also one of the few works that I have had any notable success with since last year the St. Moritz tourist office put it up on their website after I sent it to them on an email. It was then added to the Swiss Tourist board’s website, big jump up. I am just a little woman writing to calm my soul and record my thoughts but still it is nice to have something published, even in a small way. I do enter competitions; I do read poetry publications who give free advice. The first advice I took was to write six lines every day and make it a firm habit. That grew into this blog.

So, my point is that I am very serious, if only to myself. However I don’t have time to cope with computer Gremlins, so in the end rather than remove the whole work of that poem, it was left as it was. That was a hard thing for me to do because I do not like to be bullied and it seemed to me that technology itself was in a way doing just that. It was annoying since I do like things to work out and as an example I unpicked several hours embroidery recently because I was not happy with how it looked. 

Steve thought I was being silly and wasting my time, which is true but as I reminded him this is my pastime, my little mission and its not really a new thing since as a teenager I fancied living in the Outer Hebrides for a winter to try my hand at writing without being disturbed. Steve went back to the search for the Steinbock.

This poem is an expression of my horror at the terrorist attack in Berlin and was written just a few days ago.


Berlin Christmas Market

A Christmas market place
A week before a religious fest
When evil turned its sickest face
As terrorist the accelerator pressed
Holy thoughts on innocent face
Find gifts for loved one’s blessed
Bodies broken at horrors pace
Fanatic finds children to detest

No comments: